FSpS:e026 Management in Sport - Course Information
e026 Management in SportFaculty of Sports Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Bc. Oldřich Racek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Adam Kyselica (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Bc. Oldřich Racek, Ph.D.
Department of Social Sciences and Sport Management - Faculty of Sports Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Andrea Kakulidu
Supplier department: Department of Social Sciences and Sport Management - Faculty of Sports Studies
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/15, only registered: 0/15
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Multidisciplinary studies (programme FSpS, KOS)
- Multidisciplinary studies at Faculty of Sport Studies (programme CST, KOS)
- Course objectives
- After the successful completion of the course, students will be able to: 1. understand the different models of the processes of strategic management of sports organizations and discuss the relevance of these models, taking into account the specifics of the sport; 2. critically analyze the key features of the current strategic management in the sports environment; 3. identify strategic decisions of managers in sport organizations 4. critically evaluate strategic options of sports organizations, including their feasibility and sustainability; 5. identify problems and opportunities the sports organizations are facing when implementing their chosen strategies
- Introduction to Strategic Management- the necessity of strategic and financial planning, basic strategic management concepts and models in the global sports industry; 2. Strategic environment: Market environment, PESTEL analysis, Porter's five forces model,sporting market models and their strategic implications, the concentration of capital and market niches in sport; 3. The role of the state in the development of the sport - the reasons for government intervention, regulation control, the extent of state intervention; 4. The non-profit sector and sport - the role of the nonprofit sector in sport , organizations in the nonprofit sector for the sport. 5. Professional sport - the concept, the role of media, management of athletes, evaluation of results; 6. The principles of strategic management and strategic choice in sports - the basis of competitive advantage, strategy, diversification, value chain analysis, SWOT / TOWS matrix analysis and RACES; 7. Organizational and strategic changes – conditions of internal organization in sports, archetypes of the dynamics of changes in the internal organization of sports organizations for the implementation of the chosen strategy; 8. Human resources management in sport – specifics of the management and evaluation of human resources in sport organizations; 9. Leadership - Leadership Theory, differences between manager and leader and their implications in the management of sports organizations; 10. Organizational culture in sports - specifics and importance of organizational culture in sport, subculture, organizational identity, diagnosis and management of changes in the organizational culture of sport organizations; 11. Financial management of sports organizations - financial resources in sport, information for financial management and their importance to the management of sports organizations; 12. Strategy Implementation - from the perspective of the marketing, organization and financial management; 13. Performance evaluation in sport – specifics of the performance evaluation in sports organization, multidimensional approach to performance evaluation and its criteria
- Teaching methods
- Lectures and seminars with the key element - a discussion of case studies and group presentations by the ongoing tasks. Individual preparation for the seminars - studying the case study of sport organizations, an active discussion so that the students develop and strengthen their understanding of the problems and enable sharing their ideas and learning process. Participants will have a structured reading, which will form the basis of seminar activities. This reading will be based on the presentation of case studies in strategic sports management and will provide cross section of the strategic management issues of various sports governing bodies, professional sports clubs and other organizations
- Assessment methods
- defense of the seminar work and its presentation • written exam assessed according to the quality of answers
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught: in blocks.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses