The aim of this intensive course is to familiarize students with the basic principles of regulation related to energy production, transmission and distribution in the Czech Republic and in the main producing and consuming regions in the world. Attention will be paid to specific features of regulation within electricity and gas market. The course will also cover issues of renewables and natural resources extraction.
I. Structure and Fundaments of Energy Law
- Specific legal features of inevitable networks - energy trade as “sales” or “services"
- Right to energy and the structure of distributive and non-distributive rights
- Proportionality of principles and institutional protection of fundamental rights
- Structure of energy law - international / EU / national (incl. fundamental institutional backing)
- Basic legal issues in energy production (resources, structure of sources, critical infrastructure, liability)
- Basic issues in energy distribution (price regulation, vertical integration, network stability, cross-border distribution)
- Basic issues in energy sales (adhesive contracting, unfair competition, consumer protection)
II. Legal regulation of energy market
- Fundaments of EU Competition Law - Treaty of Lisbon
- Basic market freedoms of EEA
- Institutional backing of competition law (general v. specific regulation of energy market)
- Basics of legal regulation of competition in the EU - cartels, M&A, market dominance
- Analysis and discussion of recent case-law
III. Selected recent issues in energy law (case-based approach)
- Vertical integration
- Price regulation
- Support of renewable resources
JOHNSTON, Angus Charles and Guy BLOCK. EU energy law. Oxford, United Kingdom: Oxford University Press, 2012. xxxix, 425. ISBN 9780199665242. info
MASSAI, L. European climate and clean energy law and policy. Washington, DC: Earthscan, 2011. xvi, 238. ISBN 9781849712040. info
CAMERON, Peter D. Competition in energy markets : law and regulation in the European Union. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007. lxiv, 708. ISBN 9780199282975. info
The course will be divided into several intensive sessions focused on specific issues. Lectures involve class discussions and require active participation and preparation; readings serve to broaden and deepen the spectrum of knowledge students acquire during lectures.
Assessment of activities, individual preparation and particiption during lectures.
Language of instruction
Further comments (probably available only v češtině)