FSS:MVPd0003 Presentation - Course Information
MVPd0003 Presentation of the Research DesignFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 20 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. PhDr. Vít Hloušek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Petr Fiala, Ph.D., LL.M. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Břetislav Dančák, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Zdeněk Kříž, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Markéta Pitrová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Petr Kaniok, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. et Mgr. Oldřich Krpec, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Monika Brusenbauch Meislová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Filip Černoch, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Vratislav Havlík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jan Osička, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Tomáš Vlček, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Vít Hloušek, Ph.D.
Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Olga Cídlová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! MVZ006 Presentation && ! EVS006 Presentation
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 7 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course aims at presentation of the research design of the doctoral dissertation, at academic discussion debating this design and at simulation of the defence of the dissertation at the exam committee. The goal is not only to strengthen presentation skills and to summarize the research design in a concise and coherent way but also to get the broad feedback related to research as a follow-up with the academic discussion among the peers before the student starts the process of writing of his or her dissertation.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, a student will be able to set up coherent research design of doctoral research and to make a presentation concerning the research.
- 1) Elaboration of the draft of the research design pertaining to the dissertation 2) Oral presentation of the research design and the following discussion
- required literature
- BELCHER, Wendy Laura. Writing your journal article in 12 weeks : a guide to academic publishing success. Los Angeles: SAGE, 2009. xxi, 351. ISBN 9781412957014. info
- Approaches and methodologies in the social sciences : a pluralist perspective. Edited by Donatella Della Porta - Michael Keating. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2008. xv, 365. ISBN 9780521709668. info
- LANDMAN, Todd. Issues and methods in comparative politics : an introduction. 3rd ed. New York: Routledge, 2008. xxi, 355. ISBN 9780415412377. info
- GEORGE, Alexander L. and Andrew BENNETT. Case studies and theory development in the social sciences. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2005. xv, 331. ISBN 0262572222. info
- Teaching methods
- The course combines individual work of the student with periodical consultations with the supervisor.
- Assessment methods
- Written Research Plan You have to submit to the homework folder of the course written paper with your research design 14 days before the date of your presentation at the latest. In an ideal case, this paper is a draft of theoretical and methodological chapters of your dissertation. The minimal requirement consists in writing a paper 15-20 pages long with thorough and concise basic information pertaining your concepts, theories, data and methods as well as the way you plan to use these. You can submit your paper in English, Slovak, or Czech. Oral Presentation of the Research Design Very important part of the assignments is the oral presentation of the research design. The organisation of a presentation is similar with the defence of the dissertation. The student will start with introduction into his or her research design. This part shall not exceed 15 minutes and the students could benefit a lot from support of the power point presentation to accompany his speech. Written research plan will be at disposal of the participants at the discussion in advance, so you can deal with the details there. Based on the discussion, the present members of the doctoral board will decide on awarding of the credits and formulate recommendation aimed at improvement of the research. Both arguments and ideas risen in discussion and in the peer-review will be taken into consideration.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2023/MVPd0003