FSS:MVZ402 Geopolitics - Course Information
MVZ402 Geopolitics: theory and case studiesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 10 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Tomáš Pojar (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Břetislav Dančák, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Colin Kimbrell (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Andrej Stančík (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Žaneta Vencourová (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Břetislav Dančák, Ph.D.
Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Olga Cídlová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Mon 10:00–10:50 U42
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
MVZ402/02: Mon 12:00–12:50 U43
MVZ402/03: Mon 13:00–13:50 U43
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! MVZn4006 Modern geopolitics && ! NOW ( MVZn4006 Modern geopolitics )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should be able to analyze international relations on the basis of theory of geopolitics; the students will be taught in geopolitics from its first using by R. Kjellen to the present; students should understand the main differences between individual schools of geopolitical thinking and should be able to apply methods of geopolitics.
- I. Introduction. Course and evaluation description.
- II. Classical Geopolitics: Haushofer vs. Mackinder
- III. Classical Geopolitics: Mahan and Spykman
- IV. Neoclassical Geopolitics: Kennan, Kissinger, Brzezinski, Gray
- V. Reformulation of Geopolitics: Critical and Popular Geopolitics
- VI. Reformulation of Geopolitics: Metageography
- VII. Reading week.
- VIII. Case Study: Theory of Hegemonic Stability Application
- IX. Case Study: Geopolitical Position of the U. S. in the Contemporary World
- X. Case Study: Geopolitics of the E. U.
- XI. Case study: Geopolitics of Russia
- XII. Case study: Geopolitics of China
- XIII. Case study: Geopolitics of Turkey
- required literature
- Tsygankov, A., P.: Mastering Space in Eurasia: Russian Geopolitical Thinking after the Soviet Break-Up, Communist and Post-Communist Studies, Vol. 35, No. 1. (2003)
- Hartshorne, R.: Recent Developments in Political Geography I. American Political Science Review, Vol. 29, No. 5 (Oct. 1935)
- Schnitzer, E., W.: German Geopolitics Revived, Journal of Politics, Vol. 17, No. 3 (Aug. 1955)
- not specified
- Geopolitical traditions : a century of geopolitical thought. Edited by Klaus Dodds - David Atkinson. London: Routledge, 2000. xvi, 392. ISBN 0415172497. info
- Krauthammer, Ch.: The unipolar moment revisited. The National Interest, Winter 2002/03
- Geopolitics, geography and strategy. Edited by Colin S. Gray - Geoffrey Sloan. 1st pub. London: Frank Cass & Co., 1999. 289 s. ISBN 0-7146-8053-2. info
- No end to alliance : the United States and Western Europe : past, present, and future : Nobel Symposium 105. Edited by Geir Lundestad. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1998. x, 268. ISBN 0333740807. info
- HUNTINGTON, Samuel P. The clash of civilizations and the remaking of world order. 1st ed. New York: Touchstone book, 1997. 367 s. ISBN 0-684-81164-2. info
- FUKUYAMA, Francis. The end of history and the last man. London: Penguin Books, 1992. xxiii, 418. ISBN 0-14-013455-7. info
- Teaching methods
- The teaching is based on lectures and seminars. Students should take active part in debates in seminars and classes, students prepare position papers on each seminar.
- Assessment methods
- Gradeing is based upon the continuous point evaluation throughout the course, thus it is vital the actively participate on the seminars and pass the mid-semester and the final writing test; The course grade consists of the following parts: active participations on seminars, position papers, written mid-term tests and final written exam test.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2020/MVZ402