FSS:MEB431 Social Science Methodology - Course Information
MEB431 Social Science MethodologyFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 8 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Lukáš Lehotský, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petr Ocelík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jan Osička, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Břetislav Dančák, Ph.D.
Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Olga Cídlová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Mon 11:30–13:00 U42
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- International Relations and Energy Security (programme FSS, N-MS)
- Course objectives
- The course introduces students to the range of methods with which social scientists work as they attempt to systematically understand social phenomena. It provides first-hand experience with the specific procedures through which social science knowledge is developed. The course introduces framework of social science research providing the students with knowledge of the necessary questions and dilemmas that need to be tackled during the course of preparation and conducting a research. The course emphasizes general procedures such as discriminating between theories, posing proper research questions, operationalizing concepts, or collecting data.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, the students will be able to use the basic techniques of quantitative and qualitative research.
- I. Introduction to quantitative analysis II. Introduction to qualitative analysis III. Philosphy of science and its role in research IV. Designing social research
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, discussions.
- Assessment methods
- Exam, research design project.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses