FSS:ESSn4008 Academic Skills Review - Course Information
ESSn4008 Academic Skills ReviewFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Mgr. Filip Černoch, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Vratislav Havlík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Martin Jirušek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lukáš Lehotský, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Filip Černoch, Ph.D.
Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Olga Cídlová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Mon 16:00–17:40 P21
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! ESS412 Academics Skills Review && ! NOW ( ESS412 Academics Skills Review )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 22 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/22, only registered: 0/22
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Energy Security Studies (Eng.) (programme FSS, N-MS)
- Energy Policy Studies (programme FSS, N-EPS) (2)
- Joint Master Programme in International Relations: Europe from the Visegrad Perspective (programme FSS, N-EVIS)
- Joint Master Programme in International Relations: Europe from the Visegrad Perspective (programme FSS, N-MS)
- Course objectives
- This session is instructing and empowering students in the skills necessary for success in academic field as well as their future carreers.
- Learning outcomes
- The course focuses on instructing and empowering students in the skills (i.e. writing, speaking, reading, assessing sources, debating, etc.) necessary for success in the academic field as well as their future careers.
- 1) Searching resources & research skills: how to succesfully conduct a literature search; find, evaluate and use your information. 2) Academic writing & referencing: most important aspects and etics of academic writing. 3) Speaking & presenting: fundamentals and effective strategies of formal presentations and discussions in academic field.
- MCWHORTER, Kathleen T. Academic reading. 6th ed. New York, NY: Pearson/Longman, 2007. xxxii, 512. ISBN 0321364791. info
- CRASWELL, Gail. Writing for academic success : a postgraduate guide. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, 2012. xi, 248. ISBN 9780857029287. info
- HARTLEY, James. Academic writing and publishing : a practical handbook. London: Routledge, 2008. viii, 196. ISBN 9780415453219. info
- A student's guide to presentationsmaking your presentation count. Edited by Barbara Chivers - Michael Shoolbred. Los Angeles: SAGE Publications, 2007. x, 166 p. ISBN 9780761943693. info
- (Recommended literature)
- Teaching methods
- Students will be trained how to develop their academic skills most effectively. They will use acquired knowledge to carry out short practical exercises and discuss related problems in class.
- Assessment methods
- Lectures, class discussion, short projects.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2020/ESSn4008