PrF:SOC044 Basics of EU Environmental Law - Course Information
SOC044 Basics of EU Environmental LawFaculty of Law
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Jakub Hanák, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. JUDr. Ilona Jančářová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
JUDr. Jana Tkáčiková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Vojtěch Vomáčka, Ph.D., LL.M. (lecturer)
JUDr. Dominik Židek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- doc. JUDr. Ilona Jančářová, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Law and Land Law - Faculty of Law
Contact Person: doc. JUDr. Ing. Michal Radvan, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Environmental Law and Land Law - Faculty of Law
- Mon 16:00–17:40 160
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 15 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/15, only registered: 0/15
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- This course comprises a brief overview of EU environmental law, with a focus on both legal regulation and corresponding CJEU case law. It will trace the development of EU environmental law to date and will analyze the legal principles applied to nvironmental protection and the application of environmental law in practice. Particular attention will be paid to selected, current key areas of environmental law and public participation in protection of environment. On completion of the course, diligent students should have a good overview of the principles, techniques and regulatory framework of environmental law at national and European level.
- 1. Environmental policy of EU, its history and development, aims and instruments. The role of environmental action plans. 2. EU environmental law - sources of law, system of environmental regulation and relation to other EU policies, environmental law principles. 3.Harmonization of environmental requirements. EU law transposition and implementation. The role of national courts and the role of CJEU. 4. Access to environmental information, participation of public in environmental decision-makig and access to justice - the 3 pillars of Aarhus Convention. 5. Environmental impact assessment. 6. Air protection. 7. Ozone layer regulation. Global climate change in EU environmental policy. 8. Nature protection. Natura 2000. 9. Biodiversity protection. Regulation of trade in endangered species of animals and plants. 10.Inland waters protection. 11.Waste management. 12.Chemical substances and environmental protection. REACH. Prevention of industrial accidents.
- recommended literature
- Jans J., Vedder H. European environmental law. 4th ed. Groningen: Europa Law Publishing, 2012, 560 s.
- - Krämer L. EU Environmental Law. 7th ed. London: Sweet and Maxwell, 2011, 465 s.
- - Fisher E., Lange B., Scotford E. Environmental Law. Text, Cases and Materials. Oxford University Press, 2013.
- - Macrory, R.: Principles of European Environmental Law. Proceedings of the Avosetta Group of European Environmental Lawyers, Europa Law Publishing, Groningen 2004, 256 s.
- not specified
- Sands, P.: Principles of International Environmental Law, 2nd edition, Cambridge University Press, 2004, 1116 ps.
- Bodansky, D., Brunée, J., Hey, E.(Eds.): The Oxford Handbook of International Environmental Law, Oxford University Press, 2010, 1080 p.
- Gillespie, A.: Conservation, Biodiversity and International Law, Edward Elgar Publ., 2011, 600 ps.
- Teaching methods
- lectures with discussion
- Assessment methods
- Lectures are held for a minimum of 5 students. With smaller number of students attending the course, lectures are replaced with tutorials. Reading assignments and cases necessary for discussions will be given by the course co-ordinator during the course. The examination in the form of a written test and one semestral paper/ppt.presentation. Examination - credit requirements: 1. Semester paper/ppt. presentation 2. Written test 3. Participation in lessons
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/law/spring2019/SOC044