PdF:AJ9102 Practical and Professional Eng - Course Information
AJ9102 Practical and Professional EnglishFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- Ailsa Marion Randall, M.A. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Irena Headlandová Kalischová, Ph.D.
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jana Popelková
Supplier department: Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
- AJ4101 Practical and Professional English 1
Successful completion of AJ9101.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 8 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The purpose of this course is to aid the students in refining/developing their use of English for use in the classroom setting as well as to develop skills in English for educational/professional purposes; this process goes hand in hand with the students' teaching practice and draws on their observations. By the end of the course students should be able to create lessons which bear in mind the language development of their students and should also be aware of time management and be able to make reasoned decisions about their time in their professional lives.
- Learning outcomes
- On completion of the course students will be able to conduct lessons entirely in English, they will be able to analyze and assess the effectiveness of various activities, and will also have experience in creating their own. Their language skills will have further developed toward C2 level.
- The course will be based mainly on the topics and activities in English for the Teacher by Mary Spratt. Students will also be supplied with additional materials placed on the course web site (Interaktivní osnova in IS). The course meetings will involve listening and speaking exercises and feedback sessions. We will review some grammar. Integral part will be tasks related to the students' teaching practice. Syllabus: Unit 7: Teacher Development Unit 8: Student development. Unit 9: Personal development. Unit 10: Job satisfaction. Unit 11: Organising your time. Unit 12: A teacher's character Unit 13: Trouble in the classroom Unit 14: Gender in the classroom Review of Units 8-14.
- required literature
- Interaktivní osnova předmětu.
- SPRATT, Mary. English for the teacher : a language development course. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1994. xi, 158. ISBN 0521426766. info
- Teaching methods
- During the course students will be expected to participate in seminars, in class discussion, both pair-work and group-work, and make presentations, teaching practice observations.
- Assessment methods
- The course will involve group-work and pair-work as well as class discussion. A communicative approach will be used and expected from the students as well. Requirements for continuous assessment: - coursework/participation - attendance (minimum 80%) - pair-presentation on a selected topic - final test (to pass: minimum 70%; practical and methodological parts) The final exam will include the result from the presentation (20%) and from a written test (80%).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every other week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: kombinované studium: výuka v blocích.
- Teacher's information