PdF:DGC010 Issues in Geography Education - Course Information
DGC010 Issues in Geography EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 15 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Didactics of Geography (programme PdF, D-SPE4) (2)
- Course objectives
- The objective of the course is to lead students towards deeper knowledge and subsequently also towards an informed and critical reflection of various approaches and conceptions of geographical education and to acquaint the students with similarities and differences among approaches to geographical education in model states.
- Learning outcomes
- - Analyze the geographic curriculum of the selected country; - to compare the geographic curriculum of the Czech Republic; - understand basic concepts of geographic education.
- - The opportunities and problems of comparison and portability of foreign curricular documents and educational conceptions. - The approaches and conceptions of geographical education abroad in comparison with development in the Czech Republic - The implementation of innovated conceptions of geographical education abroad and related experience - Case studies of model states
- required literature
- Gerber, R. (Ed.). (2003). International handbook on geographical education. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Curić, Z., Vuk, R., & Jakovčić, M. (2007). Geography curricula for compulsory education in 11 european countries – comparative analysis. Metodika, 8(15), 467–493.
- not specified
- Learning progressions in geography education : international perspectives. Edited by Osvaldo Muñiz Solari - Michael Solem - Richard Boehms. Switzerland: Springer, 2017. xxvii, 174. ISBN 9783319447162. info
- Learning progressions for maps, geospatial technology, and spatial thinking : a research handbook. Edited by Michael Solem - Niem Tu Huynh - Richard G. Boehm. First published. Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars, 2015. xiv, 87. ISBN 9781443874274. info
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical preparation, critical reading, discussion
- Assessment methods
- - Critical evaluation of at least two didactically important (inspiring, remarkable) foreign conceptions of geographical education. This critical evaluation should be based primarily on the knowledge of relevant curricular documents, such as educational standards and programs, and their reflection in respected scholarly literature.
- To prove one’s knowledge of various approaches to realization of geographical education, (for example the systematic or thematic approaches) and to identify the typical features of these approaches in curricular documents of specific countries.
- To use the aforementioned knowledge and skills in order to create a set of recommendations and conceptual proposals concerning potential reforms, changes or revisions of the conception and practical realization of geographical education in the Czech Republic.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- It is presumed that students will use the currently valid national curricular documents and conceptual materials of international and national geographical societies, which are accessible on-line.
Relevant studies from the following journals: International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education; Journal of Geography; Geography; Zeitschrift für Geographiedidaktik, Journal of Geography Education; Journal of Research and Didactics in Geography