PdF:JVp011 English for Teachers - A - Course Information
JVp011 English for Teachers - AFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Belinda Rachael Allan, M.Ed. (lecturer)
Mgr. Miryana Georgieva Slavíková (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Radim Herout (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Radim Herout
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
- JVp001 Entrance Test A2 - English || JVk001 Entrance Test A2 - English
A pass in JVp001 – Entrance test A2 - English. (Úspěšně absolvovaný předmět JVp001 – Vstupní test A2 - AJ.) The course is designed for students who are at least at the A2 level of English and who can understand the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters regularly encountered at work, school, leisure, etc. They can also produce simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest, and can read texts and briefly give reasons and explanations for opinions and plans.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 54 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to help students achieve B1 level knowledge of English by improving all language skills (listening, reading, speaking, writing) and systems of the language (grammar and vocabulary) within the given level. The course is intended for future teachers learning and discussing topics such as education systems, schools and universities, and common school issues (e.g. bullying).
- Learning outcomes
- By the end of the course, the student will be able to:
- understand spoken and written teaching and educational English towards B1 level of the CEFR;
- write a formal letter in English;
- communicate in English about teaching and educational topics towards B1 level of the CEFR;
- give a presentation in English;
- use selected teaching and educational terminology in a natural, accurate way;
- show a good command of selected grammar structures towards B1 level of the CEFR.
- Topics for the course include:
- University Life
- Education Systems
- - in Czechia
- - in other countries
- Current Issues in Schools (bullying, truancy, etc.)
- Creating a School (with a mission and various programs)
- required literature
- Course materials: moodlinka.ics.muni.cz
- recommended literature
- SWAN, Michael and Catherine WALTER. The good grammar book : a grammar practice book for elementary to lower-intermediate students of English : with answers. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2001. 324 s. ISBN 0194315193. info
- GILL, Nora, Jiří VACEK, Ruth COUFALOVÁ, Olga INGROVÁ and Jana KOLLÁROVÁ. Communicative ESP Practice for Pre-Service Teachers. 1st ed. Olomouc: Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic, 2003. 109 pp. English Texts. ISBN 80-244-0652-7. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English : with answers. Fourth edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. x, 380. ISBN 9780521189064. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. Essential grammar in Use : a self-study reference and practice book for elementary students of English : with answers. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2007. xi, 319. ISBN 9780521675802. info
- OXENDEN, Clive. New English File - Intermediate. 2011. ISBN 978-0-19-451910-6. info
- Cambridge advanced learner's dictionary. Edited by Melisa Good. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University, 2008. xiv, 1699. ISBN 9780521674683. info
- Teaching methods
- Weekly ninety-minute seminars designed for teaching English for specific and academic purposes. Activities developing students' awareness of language skills and systems within B1 level - listening and reading tasks; grammar and vocabulary practice, discussions and other speaking activities.
- Assessment methods
- Credit requirements:
- Active participation and attendance (completing work for any absence),
- A formal Erasmus letter in English
- Mid-term test (grammar and vocabulary)
- Poster presentation of your school
- Credit test (listening, reading, grammar and vocabulary)
NB Only students who complete all previous assignments can sit the credit test.
Pass mark: 65%
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on completion of the course: Jazykový kurz na úrovni B1 SERRJ (není určen pro začátečníky).
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Podmínkou zápisu je úspěšné absolvování předmětu JVp001. Počet míst v kurzu je limitován kapacitou pracoviště.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information