PdF:Ze0131 Applied methods of research - Course Information
Ze0131 Applied methods of researchFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- doc. Mgr. Petr Knecht, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. PhDr. Mgr. Hana Svatoňová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Hana Svobodová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Petr Knecht, Ph.D.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- Basic knowledge of MS Word, Excel, data analysis SW, and GIS.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Geography for Education (programme PdF, B-ZE3S) (2)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to introduce research methods in geography and social science and their application in practice (on a sample of quantitative and qualitative data).
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the student will be able to:
Gather, collect, organize and interpret geographic information and data sources.
Analyse primary and secondary data sets using qualitative and quantitative methods.
Present research findings based on data analysis.
- 1. A basic outline of research methods, data, information and its sources, basic statistical concepts, graphs, cartograms and diagrams, theoretical distribution, correlation and timelines.
- 2. Elaboration of the data (table, graph, statistical map and its basic components and principles of geographical data).
- 3. Descriptive statistics and its use in practice.
- 4. Methods of timelines and their importance for the analysis of development tendencies.
- 5. Use of special SW for data analysis in geography.
- 6. Data presentation.
- Key methods in geography. Edited by Shaun French - Thomas Gillespie - Meghan Cope - N. J. Clifford. Third edition. Los Angeles: SAGE, 2016. xxx, 722. ISBN 9781446298602. info
- MONTELLO, Daniel R. and Paul C. SUTTON. An introduction to scientific research methods in geography & environmental studies. 2nd ed. Los Angeles, [Calif.]: SAGE, 2013. x, 314. ISBN 9781446200759. info
- HENDL, Jan. Kvalitativní výzkum : základní teorie, metody a aplikace. 2., aktualiz. vyd. Praha: Portál, 2008. 407 s. ISBN 9788073674854. info
- GREGOROVÁ, Gabriela and Valéria FILLOVÁ. Štatistické metódy v geografii. 1. vyd. Bratislava: Geo-grafika, 2004. 117 s. ISBN 8096814664. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- Assessment of assignments, assessment of the final presentation of group work.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.