FF:FJ0B802 RapCor II - Course Information
FJ0B802 RapCor IIFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. PhDr. Alena Polická, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Laurent Georges Canal (assistant)
Adelaide Evreinoff (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Petr Vurm, Ph.D.
Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of Romance Languages and Literatures - Faculty of Arts
- The prerequisite is the student's motivation and diligence, his/her willingness to learn new technical methods of text and sound processing, as well as linguistic variations and a sense of teamwork.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 11 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- In the course, in the form of a project tutorial on a specific language material, the student is offered the possibility of a practical introduction to the formation of a linguistic corpus of so-called written orality. The aim is to develop both specific language skills (about substandard French, about varieties spoken in francophone area) and also to develop technical skills (i.e. to go through all stages of digitization of texts from cd booklets by scanning, ocerisation and annotation, as well as metadata creation, transcription of the spoken word, and text segmentation by musical measure, etc.).
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course the student will be able to:
- describe the stages and tools used in the creation of linguistic corpora;
- identify and summarize the general features of hip-hop culture and rap music;
- morphosyntactically analyze and lexicographically describe substandard lexicon, especially sociolectisms, neologisms, and xenisms;
- apply image and text processing digitization techniques to any source data.
- Rap and hip-hop studies, rapology in francophone area. Introduction to course and corpus linguistics. Metadata of artists. Before we start - introducing each other and getting each other's help. First steps - searching for artist metadata. How to create tracklists and code songs. How to scan and cut/search for covers. How to get the text recognized (OCR). How to create the written version (P and A formats) and how to search the texts on the Internet (S format). How to create the sound & rhythm reliable version of the rap song. How to create the TXT version and get an ODS table. How to fill in the ODS table.
- recommended literature
- PODHORNÁ-POLICKÁ, Alena. RapCor, Francophone Rap Songs Text Corpus. In Horák, Aleš; Rychlý, Pavel; Rambousek, Adam. Proceedings of the Fourteenth Workshop on Recent Advances in Slavonic Natural Languages Processing, RASLAN 2020. 1st ed. Brno: Tribun EU, 2020. p. 95-102. ISBN 978-80-263-1600-8. online version info
- Teaching methods
- project teaching, theoretical lectures, assignements, teamwork
- Assessment methods
- Active participation in seminars and continuous work on assigned tasks (the student keeps a timetable - a list of ongoing-tasks with the status of completion of individual stages of work).
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: every week.
- Teacher's information