FF:PSMA012 Cons./School Psych. Experience - Course Information
PSMA012 Work Experience in Consulting/School PsychologyFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/14. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. PhDr. Iva Burešová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Iva Burešová, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jarmila Valchářová
Supplier department: Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
- The course assumes knowledge of topics and literature covered by the following courses: Developmental Psychology I and II; School Psychology; Consulting Psychology; Psychological Assessment of Children and Adolescents.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Psychology (programme FF, N-PSYCH_)
- Course objectives
- The course involves a two-week working experience (i.e. 14 working days) in psychological and educational consulting centres, elementary schools, and/or other state or private institutions providing non-clinical psychological and educational services for children and adolescents in the Czech Republic.
The purpose of the working experience is to help students acquire the basic idea of the work of psychologists in these types of institutions, i.e. the psychological practice in the fields of consulting and school psychology.
- Learning outcomes
- By completing the course, students will:
- obtain essential knowledge of issues, problems and challenges addressed by psychologists working in school and institutions providing non-clinical psychological and educational services for children and adolescents;
- obtain elementary practical experience with conducting consulting sessions with clients (under the supervision of a professional psychologist);
- obtain elementary practical experience with at least one psychological assessment tool commonly used in the field (i.e. by completing client evaluation under the supervision of a professional psychologist);
- be able to complete a report based on the working experience that meets the required standards.
- The duration of the working experience is 14 days minimum. It is recommended to split the working experience into:
- - 7 days of working experience at one of the state-funded psychological and educational consulting centres (pedagogicko-psychologická poradna, PPP), and
- - 7 days at other state institutions under the purview of the Ministry of Education (primarily in schools, furthermore e.g., special needs education consulting centres, school providing special needs education, children’s homes, etc.), or at private establishments working with children and adolescents.
- During the working experience, the students (with the approval and under the supervision of a professional psychologist working at the chosen institution) are required to:
- - take one case history of a client;
- - complete an assessment session with a client using at least one common standardized psychological test (e.g. WISC-III).
- recommended literature
- MERTIN, Václav and Lenka KREJČOVÁ. Metody a postupy poznávání žáka : pedagogická diagnostika. 2., doplněné a aktualizova. Praha: Wolters Kluwer, 2016. 398 stran. ISBN 9788075520142. info
- SVOBODA, Mojmír. Psychodiagnostika dětí a dospívajících. (Psychogiagnostics of Child and Adolescents). 1st ed. Praha: Portál, 2001. 791 pp. Studium. ISBN 80-7178-545-8. info
- MATĚJČEK, Zdeněk. Praxe dětského psychologického poradenství. 1. vyd. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1991. 335 s. ISBN 8004245269. info
- Teaching methods
- Students are required to arrange the working experience at one of the recommended institutions by themselves. They are also required to comply with the working regulations of the institutions and with the general ethical principles of the psychological profession.
- Assessment methods
- To obtain a credit for the course, students have to submit:
- A signed and stamped “Protokol o absolvování praxe z dětské poradenské a školní psychologie” (Confirmation of Completing a Working Experience in Children’s Consulting Psychology and School Psychology) documenting their active participation during the attachment(s);
- A case history report taken under the supervision of a professional psychologist;
- A report of an assessment session (conducted under the supervision of a professional psychologist) involving one standardized psychological test, containing observational information, assessment results, and basic diagnostic conclusions drawn from the scores;
- A personal reflection of the working experience.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught each semester.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 14 dní.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2021/PSMA012