PřF:C6030 Biochemistry II - Course Information
C6030 Biochemistry IIFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Petr Zbořil, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Petr Zbořil, CSc.
Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- C5720 Biochemistry I
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Chemistry (programme PřF, M-SS)
- Course objectives
- Metabolic Fate of Biomolecules. Metabolism of Amino Acids and Proteins. Metabolism of Nucleic Acids and Proteosynthesis. Metabolism of Saccharides and Lipids. Basic Bioenergetic Metabolism. Integration of Metabolism, Regulation Principles. Membrane Transport. Special Biosynthetic Pathways.
- Proteins catabolism. Digestion. General conversion of amino acids. Nitrogen metabolism. Amino acids metabolism, interconversion and catabolism. Degradation and synthesis of nucleic acids. Nucleotide metabolism, synthesis and degradation. Genetic information, its transfer and expression. Protein synthesis, regulatory mechanisms. Metabolism of saccharides. Degradation and biosynthesis of polysaccharides. Glycolysis. Reaction scheme, energetics, regulation. Resynthesis of glucose. Other conversions of saccharides. Hexose monophosphate pathway, pentose cycle. Metabolism of lipids. Degradation and biosynthesis of fats and phosphatides. Degradation and biosynthesis of fatty acids. Ketonic compounds. Tricarboxylic acids cycle. Reaction scheme, energetics. Metabolic relations, regulation. Biological oxidation. Types and role, examples. Energetics. Oxidative phosphorylation. The organization of respiratory chain. Mechanism of electron transport, generation and use of protonmotive force, ATP synthesis. Photosynthesis. Pigments, organization, electron transport. CO2 fixation. Microsomal electron transport, nitrogenase system. Oxygenation. Porphyrins. Heme biosynthesis and degradation. Isoprenoids. Biosynthesis. Terpenoids, carotenoids, vitamins, isoprenic quinones. Steroids, nomenclature, biosynthesis, conversions. Hormones, bile acids, vitamin D. Biosynthesis of aromatic compounds. Alkaloids, basic principles of their bisynthesis. Regulation of metabolism. Mutual relations in metabolism. Regulatory levels. Regulation of enzyme activity, metabolic pools. Compartmentation. Membrane gradients, solute transport. Types,energetics. Important translocase systems. Neurohumoral system. Mechanism of hormone action. Mineral metabolism, the role of ions in biochemical processes. Nerve excitation, muscle contraction.
- Assessment methods (in Czech)
- Zkouška písemná, příp. navazující ústní.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2002/C6030