PřF:FA050 Scientific projects - Course Information
FA050 Scientific projectsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Ernst Paunzen, Dr.rer.nat (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Mgr. Jiří Krtička, Ph.D.
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Ernst Paunzen, Dr.rer.nat
Supplier department: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Learning outcomes
- The understanding of what is needed to successfully start a career in Astronomy and how evaluation processes as well as international collaborations are functioning.
- We will concentrate in this lecture on the necessary requirements to start a successful carrier in Astronomy. This includes the writing of a competitive Curriculum Vitae (CV) as well as proposals. Furthermore, a short scientific paper will be written and submitted to a journal "simulating" a broad collaboration which is essential nowadays. It will be discussed what is needed to compete successfully at the early stages of the career and the first typical scientific business steps. I will introduce the proposal and job evaluation in the process as ESO and the large grant agencies conduct it. The currently available networking and social platforms for researchers will be presented and discussed. I will also invite colleagues from abroad to tell us their perspective on starting a career at their institution.
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class discussion, one group project, presentations by colleagues from abroad
- Assessment methods
- Successful passing of this course will be granted after the processing of practical works and the fulfilment of participation condition.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught once in two years.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: S.