PřF:FA222 Star Clusters - Course Information
FA222 Star ClustersFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 1 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. Ernst Paunzen, Dr.rer.nat (lecturer)
Mgr. Michal Prišegen, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ernst Paunzen, Dr.rer.nat
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- The course is for all students after the second year of study with a basic knowledge about physics and astrophysics. The main language of the course will be English.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course, students should be able to understand the characteristics of star clusters and their importance to many other fields of astrophysics.
- Learning outcomes
- - understanding the formation and evolution of star clusters and the Milky Way
- knowledge about the kinematics and structure of star clusters and the Milky Way
- understanding of star cluster members and populations
- observational techniques applied to star clusters
- understanding of Gaia DR2 and EDR3 data
- fitting of isochrones and determination of astrophysical parameters
- overview of the most important astrophysical mechanism
- advanced archival search and analysis of scientific data
- - 1. Open clusters
- - 2. Globular clusters
- - 3. Moving groups
- - 4. Stellar associations
- - 5. Extragalactic star clusters
- - 6. Formation and evolution of star clusters
- - 7. Observational constraints
- - 8. Parameter determination methods
- - 9. N-body simulations
- - 10. Gaia and star clusters
- - 11. Databases and surveys (Webda, GAIA-ESO survey, ...)
- Moitinho, 2012, Star Clusters in the Era of Large Surveys Star Clusters in the Era of Large Surveys
- Teaching methods
- Classic lectures, practical works and class exercises.
- Assessment methods
- Successful passing of this course will be granted after the processing of practical works, fulfilment of participation condition, passing of the exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.