PřF:S1002 NA - practical course - Course Information
S1002 Chemical properties, structure and interactions of nucleic acids – practical courseFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/10. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. RNDr. Miroslav Fojta, CSc. (seminar tutor)
prof. RNDr. Michaela Vorlíčková, DrSc. (seminar tutor)
doc. Mgr. Miloslava Fojtová, CSc. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Iva Kejnovská, CSc. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Miroslav Fojta, CSc.
National Centre for Biomolecular Research - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Miroslav Fojta, CSc.
Supplier department: National Centre for Biomolecular Research - Faculty of Science
- Previous or parallel passing-out the S1001 subject
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students will be trained to perform simple experiments based on methods and experimental techniques that are related to topics of the course S1001.
- 1. Gel electrophoresis of nucleic acids, proteins and their complexes, two-dimesional electrophoresis. 2. Blotting, protein immunodetection. 3. Magnatoseparation techniques, immunoprecipitation. 4. Centrifugation methods, DNA precipitation, extraction with organic solvents, gradient centrifugation, ultrafiltration. 5. Chromatographic methods, FPLC of proteins on ionex, affinity and gel-filtration columns. 7. DNA sequencing and footprinting. 7. Electrochemical methods, determination of DNA and proteins, detection of DNA damage and interactions. 8. UV VIS and CD spectrophotometry of biopolymers.
- BLACKBURN, M. G. and M. J. GAIT. Nucleic Acids in Chemistry and Biology. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1996. info
- SINDEN, Richard R. DNA structure and function. San Diego: Academic Press, 1994. xxiii, 398. ISBN 0126457506. info
- ADAMS, R. L. P., J. T. KNOWLER and D. P. LEADER. The Biochemistry of Nucleic Acids. 10th edit. London: Chapman and Hall, 1986. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical courses, demonstrations in the laboratory
- Assessment methods
- Teaching method: practical demonstrations of instruments and real experimental data, simple experimental tasks conducted by the students Type of exam: credit (given on the basis of participance)
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.