Social Education – Field of study catalogue MU
“Remember that you are a human!”
The degree in Social Education prepares a personally developed and trained educator who will rank with their knowledge, skills and personal qualities as a professional in pedagogical and helping professions working in a care system aimed at children, youth, adults and the elderly.
This wide range profile is based on specific subjects (disciplines), which in their content, objective and methods cover not only the knowledge-based field (historical facts and contexts, knowledge of theories and concepts, methodology, etc.) but also lead to the development of students' own experience and practical skills.
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- Undertake pedagogical and social work with children, youth, adults and the elderly, outline educational and preventive programmes
- Be knowledgeable about basic methodical and conceptual approaches towards the pedagogical reality, its processes and problems as well as pedagogical influence in such situations
- Master personality diagnostic methods, basic communication strategies and approaches
- Participate in qualitative research, work with academic sources and elaborate an academic essay
- Apply all the skills mentioned above in relation to the second study programme (Environmental Studies / Social Work)
Social education specialists could easily find positions in state management:
- e.g. ministry of education, youth and physical education (educator, leisure time specialist, methodologist of prevention, advisor for educational and social matters)
- in the field of justice (positions of educators in prisons)
- in the ministry of health care (educator and play therapists in hospital, crisis centres)
- in the field of the ministry of social affairs (different positions in in house treatment)
-the ministry of interior affairs (social specialists in refugee camps, humanitarian services or asylum centres)
- A wide range of job positions is also available in non-profit organizations; humanitarian and charity institutions, civil agencies, foundations, etc.
The standard duration of the studies is six semesters (three years). For admittance to the final state examination students must obtain a total of 180 ECTS credits for required, selective and elective courses
A foreign language (English, German) is also a part of the studies, basic knowledge of the language is expected at the minimal level A2 (according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), which is built on in classes.
During the studies the student experiences a complex system of continuous and consistent practical training, which covers all the fields of possible employment. The system is described below:
The final state examination consists of:
1) Bachelor's thesis defence
2) Social Education
3) Applied psychology
Exam topics and further information are available on the department website:
After finishing the Bachelor's level of studies, the student can continue in the follow-up Master’s degree programme N7501 Education, Field of Study Social Education (combined studies).