FI:PA128 Similarity Searching - Course Information
PA128 Similarity Searching in Multimedia DataFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc. (lecturer), doc. RNDr. Vlastislav Dohnal, Ph.D. (deputy)
doc. RNDr. Vlastislav Dohnal, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Michal Batko, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Václav Matyáš, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc.
- Mon 12:00–13:50 B003
- Knowledge of technical English
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 29 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- On successful completion of the course student will be able:
to understand principles of similarity searching;
to apply similarity searching paradigm to multimedia data;
to explain principles of index structures for multimedia data;
to implement an index structure introduced in the course.
- Part I Metric Searching in a Nutshell:
- Foundations of Metric Space Searching
- Survey of Existing Approaches
- Part II Metric Searching in Large Collections of Data:
- Centralized Index Structures
- Approximate Similarity Search
- Parallel and Distributed Indexes.
- Teaching methods
- Lectures with slides. The course is given in English. Questions during lectures are allowed also in Czech.
- Assessment methods
- Final exams are organized during the examination period and the exam is oral. The student is asked two questions to verify the student's knowledge obtained during lectures.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses