FSS:ENSn4447 Qualitative research - Course Information
ENSn4447 Qualitative research in environmentalismFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/2/0. 8 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Lucie Galčanová Batista, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Jan Činčera, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jan Činčera, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Kristína Markechová
Supplier department: Department of Environmental Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! HEN447 Qualitative research &&! NOW ( HEN447 Qualitative research )&&(! ENSn4446 Quantitative research && ! NOW ( ENSn4446 Quantitative research ))
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Environmental Studies (programme FSS, N-ENV)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to acquaint students with the basic approaches, methods and research techniques of qualitative research in the social sciences. In the form of lectures, reading the basic methodological texts and of practical exercises, the students will not only gain the theoretical knowledge, but also the necessary practical skills to conduct individual qualitative research as well as cooperate in small research teams. In addition to the research design students will also acquainted with general methods of presentation of the research results and the creation of an academic text.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to identify the features of research approaches of qualitative research, the differences between them and the practical implications of their application for the research process and the presentation of the results. He/she will be able to develop his / her own research process design, formulate a research problem and research questions, work independently on data collection, analysis and academic presentation.
- Principles of qualitative research General approaches to qualitative research, related research techniques and data analysis Role of theory in qualitative research Research problem and question Observation Ethnography In-depth Interview Presentation of research findings, research report, written and oral presentation
- required literature
- BRYMAN, Alan. Social research methods. 4th ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2012. xli, 766. ISBN 9780199588053. info
- CHARMAZ, Kathy. Constructing grounded theory : a practical guide through qualitative analysis. London ;: Sage Publications, 2006. xiii, 208. ISBN 0761973532. info
- recommended literature
- SILVERMAN, David. Doing qualitative research. 4th ed. Los Angeles: Sage, 2013. xvii, 470. ISBN 9781446260142. info
- SEIDMAN, Irving. Interviewing as qualitative research : a guide for researchers in education and the social sciences. 4th ed. New York: Teachers College Press, 2013. xiv, 178. ISBN 9780807754047. info
- CRESWELL, John W. Qualitative inquiry & research design : choosing among five approaches. 3rd ed. Thousand Oaks: SAGE, 2013. xxi, 448. ISBN 9781412995306. info
- The Sage handbook of qualitative research. Edited by Norman K. Denzin - Yvonna S. Lincoln. 4th ed. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2011. xvi, 766. ISBN 9781412974172. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, seminars, field work, individual theoretical and practical preparation, group project and presentation.
- Assessment methods
- The evaluation is based on ongoing work and preparations for seminars, individual research tasks and group project evaluation.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2021/ENSn4447