FSS:EVSn5067 How do they see us? - Informace o předmětu
EVSn5067 How do they see us? The Czech Republic and its European PartnersFakulta sociálních studií
- 2/0/0. 3 kr. Ukončení: z.
- Mgr. Monika Brusenbauch Meislová, Ph.D. (cvičící)
PhDr. Petr Suchý, Ph.D. (cvičící)
- PhDr. Petr Suchý, Ph.D.
Katedra mezinárodních vztahů a evropských studií - Fakulta sociálních studií
Dodavatelské pracoviště: Katedra mezinárodních vztahů a evropských studií - Fakulta sociálních studií
- Omezení zápisu do předmětu
- Předmět je určen pouze studentům mateřských oborů.
- Mateřské obory/plány
- předmět má 20 mateřských oborů, zobrazit
- Cíle předmětu
- “How do they see us? The Czech Republic and its European partners” is a one-semester course that offers detailed practical insights into the conduct of international diplomacy through the hands-on experience of those involved in it. The overall aim of the module is unique: to introduce students to the field of international diplomacy and diplomatic service in an original, interactive, and participative way. More specifically, providing students with an exclusive insider’s view into the practical world of diplomacy and foreign affairs, the course is designed to acquaint them with the functioning of the international diplomatic service and its principles through a series of regular meetings with serving diplomats from European embassies based in the Czech Republic. It is through these direct interactions with the practitioners of diplomacy and their personal perspectives that the module will provide students with a rigorous understanding of, and in-depth exposure to, various practical issues relating to modern diplomacy. At the same time, students will learn about European countries’ foreign policy priorities in the Czech Republic and the associated limits, challenges, opportunities, etc. Last but not least, students will also be encouraged to develop their own critical questions over the conduct of international diplomacy.
- Výstupy z učení
- On successful completion of this course, students are expected to be able to: • have a deeper appreciation of the distinctive aspects of international diplomacy practice • possess a broad grasp of the complexities of real-life cases and experiences in international diplomacy • identify and summarize the basic characteristics of the practice and principles of international diplomacy • demonstrate a consolidated understanding of the main foreign-policy priorities of selected European countries in the Czech Republic • ask critical questions when approaching (often difficult) debates in international diplomacy • present their ideas confidently in a formal setting • navigate themselves in the pathways into a career in international diplomacy
- The course will feature a number of leading senior diplomats who have held diplomatic positions at embassies all over the world, including the Czech Republic. The names of individual guests and the dates of their presentations will be specified by the beginning of the spring semester.
- Výukové metody
- • guest presentations delivered by serving diplomats from European embassies based in the Czech Republic • ample space for students’ questions and discussions • reading of the assigned literature that provides foundational knowledge of the various facets of international diplomacy
- Metody hodnocení
- Course completion requirements: • mandatory participation at guests’ presentations • active participation within the class • reading of the assigned literature • passing of the final online test, which will address the topics discussed during the course and in the assigned readings
- Vyučovací jazyk
- Další komentáře
- Předmět je vyučován každoročně.
Výuka probíhá každý týden.