PřF:Bi7170 Medical microbiology - Course Information
Bi7170 Medical microbiologyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Iva Buriánková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
MUDr. Lenka Černohorská, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Monika Dvořáková Heroldová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Ing. Veronika Holá, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. MUDr. Filip Růžička, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lukáš Vacek (lecturer)
MUDr. Ondřej Zahradníček (seminar tutor)
Iva Holešovská (assistant)
Hana Válková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Iva Buriánková, Ph.D.
Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Ing. Jiřina Kučerová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Faculty of Medicine
- Tue 17:00–18:50 N02112
- Examination - general microbiology, taxonomy of bacteria, biochemistry.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 45 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 28/45, only registered: 0/45, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/45
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 7 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course are practical skills for profession in laboratory of clinical microbiology.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students should be able to understand pathogenicity and virulence of bacteria, elimination of microorganisms from body; to understand normal body microflora, etiology, diagnostics and basics of therapy of diseases of individual organ systems, including viral, fungal and parasitic agents; work with information on basics of rational antimicrobial therapy; to understand hospital infections and their causative agents.
- Ordinary functioning of the laboratory of clinical bacteriology, algorithmic diagnostics, consequences;
- Compendium of clinically relevant bacteria;
- Compendium of antibiotics;
- Respiratory tract infections and their etiological agens**;
- Digestive tract infections and their etiological agens**;
- Urinary tract infections and their etiological agens**;
- STD and their cultivable agens Infections of skin, tissues and injuries and their etiological agens**;
- Infections caused by hardly cultivable bacteria (mycobacteria, spirochetes, mycoplasma, rickettsial species, chlamydial species)**;
- Antigens and antibodies and their efficiency in diagnostics;
- Passive and active immunization;
- The overview of the human viral infections**;
- Mycotic and parasitic human infections**;
- Antimicrobial therapy in practice, antibiotic centres;
- Nosocomial infections**;
- **In these lectures the compact overview of pathogens, of the treatement and medication, prevention and epidemiology, symptoms will be given by the use of schemes and images from the clinical practice.
- VOTAVA, Miroslav. Lékařská mikrobiologie obecná. (General Medical Microbiology.). 1st ed. Brno: Neptun, 2001. 247 pp. ISBN 80-902896-2-2. info
- VOTAVA, Miroslav. Lékařská mikrobiologie speciální (Medical microbiology special). 1st ed. Brno: NEPTUN, Březová 18, 637 00 Brno, 2003. 495 pp. ISBN 80-902896-6-5. info
- VOTAVA, Miroslav. Lékařská mikrobiologie : vyšetřovací metody. Brno: Neptun, 2010. 495 s. ISBN 9788086850047. info
- BJARNSHOLT, Thomas, Claus MOSER and Niels HØIBY. Biofilm Infections. Springer, 2011. ISBN 978-1-4419-6084-9. e-book info
- První dva tituly jsou základní, ostatní doplňkové
- Teaching methods
- lecture + self-study with use of study support materials on IS MU
- Assessment methods
- Attendance at lectures is not checked, but is recommended.
The subject is finished by the exam that has three parts. A student that is not successful at any of the parts does not continue to other parts. The exception is a student coming to his/her last resit. Such student always absolves all three parts, and a co-examiner is present at the third part.
(1)Written admission test consists of 20 questions, mostly "single best answer" type, partially also filling in missing word or other type questions. Students having at least 14 correct answers are considered having successfully done this part. Students coming to a resit term and having the test successfully completed in one of previous attempts do not have to redo the test again.
(2) Practical examination means doing a task picked by a student, or given to him by a teacher. The student also may be requested to fill-in a protocol about the task. Students coming for a resit term do not have to absolve the practical part repeatedly if they have got value "A" or "B" at one of previous attempts.
(3) Theoretical part means that student picks one question for each of three groups of questions. The total number of questions is approximately 180. The student elaborates the questions in written form, signs them and gives them to the teacher. The teacher asks additional questions to them orally. After that, the student is evaluated.
Warning 1: At any part of the exam the student may be told to show his/her protocols from practical sessions. The quality of the protocols may be taken into account at the final evaluation.
Warning 2: Skipping the test and/or the practical part cannot be done in case of students coming again for their regular exam term in a repeatedly registered subject.
Note: Student that failed at part (1) and (2) and feel disadvantaged may appeal to the head-examiner during next 60 minutes.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
General note: Místnost má polohový kód BBC11N02112 (popis zde: https://is.muni.cz/auth/kontakty/mistnost.pl?id=9407).
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2020/Bi7170