PřF:Bi7430c Molecular biotechnology - pr. - Course Information
Bi7430c Molecular biotechnology - practical courseFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/4/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught partially online.
- prof. RNDr. Zbyněk Prokop, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. David Kovář, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Andrea Schenkmayerová, PhD. (seminar tutor)
Ing. RNDr. Martin Marek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Šárka Nevolová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. Mgr. Radka Chaloupková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Michal Vašina (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Andrea Tomečková (seminar tutor)
PharmDr. Josef Mašek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Martina Damborská (assistant)
prof. Mgr. Jiří Damborský, Dr. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Mgr. Jiří Damborský, Dr.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Zbyněk Prokop, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- Bi7430c/01: Wed 10:00–11:50 Kontaktujte učitele, D. Kovář, Z. Prokop, A. Schenkmayerová
Bi7430c/02: Wed 14:00–15:50 Kontaktujte učitele, D. Kovář, Z. Prokop, A. Schenkmayerová
- NOW ( Bi7430 Molecular biotechnology )
Parallel attendance of Molecular Biotechnology lecture (Bi7430).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The exercise provides a combination of practical skills taught by experts from academia (PřF MU and VÚVeL) and the corporate environment (biotechnology company). At the end of the course, students will be familiar with a variety of techniques of molecular biotechnology, such as design of primers, DNA cleavage by restriction enzymes, transformation of bacterial cells, methods of fermentation culturing E. coli, application recombinant microorganisms and isolated enzymes in biosensing and remediation of hazardous substances or synthesis of pharmaceutically pure chemicals. The course will enable students to deepen their theoretical knowledge acquired in lectures Molecular Biotechnology. Students will become familiar with the currently used methods and the principle and operation of modern laboratory equipment. The course also aims to strengthen communication skills of students in a discussion with experts of the field and exercise stylistic skills of students in a writing an essays and protocols. The learning materials in English support the ability to work with scientific texts, including strengthening the knowledge of the English terminology used in this field.
- Learning outcomes
- The practice provides the students with an interesting combination of practical knowledge under the guidance of experts from academia (MU and VRI) and business environment (a biotechnology company). The student will become trained in modern methods:
Design of recombinant systems
Fermentation of recombinant microorganisms
Preparation of enzymatic biosensor
Microfluidics, lab on a chip
Biocatalytic preparation of pharmaceutical precursor
Preparation and transformation of liposomes
Analysis of liposomes
- Design of recombinant systems
- software tool Clone Manager, design of primers, restriction cleavage, cloning, transformation
- Microfluidics, lab on a chip
- fabrication of PDMS chip, preparation and microscopy of microdroplets, microscopy of microdroplets with cells
- Fermentation of recombinant microorganisms
- fermentation of E. coli biomass and expression of recombinant protein, technology EnBase
- Preparation of enzymatic biosensor
- co-immobilization of recombinant enzyme and fluorescence probe to optical transducer, detection of selected analyte
- Biocatalytic preparation of pharmaceutical precursor
- biocatalytic synthesis of pharmaceutical precursor by using recombinant enzyme
- Preparation and transformation of liposoms
- preparation of liposomes, transformation, high-pressure extrusion, preparation of SUV (small unilamellar vesicels), DLS (dynamic light scattering) analysis, ZetaSizer
- Analysis of liposoms
- single particle tracking analysis by using Nanosight 500, transmission electron microscopy
- An introduction to molecular biotechnology : fundamentals, methods, and applications. Edited by Michael Wink. 2nd, update ed. Weinheim: Wiley-Blackwell, 2011. xxxiii, 60. ISBN 9783527326372. info
- GLICK, Bernard R., Jack J. PASTERNAK and Cheryl L. PATTEN. Molecular biotechnology : principles and applications of recombinant DNA. 4th ed. Washington, D.C.: ASM Press, 2010. xvi, 1000. ISBN 9781555814984. info
- Teaching methods
- ORGANIZATION OF DISTANCE TEACHING
regarding to the Covid pandemic, for the autumn 2020
Students will receive ELECTRONIC MATERIALS for each topic (eg methodologies, methodological articles, video tutorials)
After the study, a SHORT WRITTEN TEST will be prepared, verifying the obtained knowledge in the given topic.
During the semester, an ON-LINE DISCUSSION (MS Teams) will be organized on current or controversial topics (eg gene editing, GMO).
- Assessment methods
- The evaluation will be awarded after completing all short tests on individual topics and fulfilling active participation in the online discussion.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Přednost mají studenti specializace mikrobiologie.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2020/Bi7430c