PřF:JAF04 English for Physicists IV - Course Information
JAF04 English for Physicists IVFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Eva Čoupková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Bc. Anna Bízková Doleželová (assistant)
Mgr. Daniela Dlabolová (assistant)
Mgr. Markéta Dudová, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Jana Kubrická, Ph.D. (assistant)
Mgr. Monika Ševečková, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Eva Čoupková, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Science Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Lenka Pavlíková
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Science Division - Language Centre
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- JAF04/01: Mon 1. 3. to Fri 14. 5. Wed 12:00–13:50 J1, E. Čoupková
- The knowledge of English at B2 level of CERF.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 49 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to practise academic English in physical context at B2 level according to CEFR, prepare to take part in the advanced exam in English for Specific Purposes (JA002), and to practise academic and soft skills indispensable in further academic and professional careers.
- Learning outcomes
- After the completion of the course the student should be able to:
understand authentic physical texts at B2 level of CEFR
understand spoken discourse concerning physical topics at B2 level of CEFR
communicate on a special topic at B2 level of CEFR
skim the text and understand its general meaning
scan the text and find a piece of specific information
formulate the main ideas of the text
distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information
summarize relevant information
inform about one´s studies and research
present the results of one´s research
apply the acquired skills to new physical topics
- Main Body - signalling devices, ending
- Delivery, Pronounciation
- Using Visual Aids
- Interpreting Graphs
- Handling Questions
- Practical Presentations
- Abstract Writing
- Citation and Referencing - fact vs opinion, plagiarism
- Physical and other relevant texts according to current importance and interest (positron emission tomography, space travel and human body,stem cells research, large hadron collider)
- Effective presentation, J. Comfort, OUP 1995
- Giving presentations, M. Ellis, N. O'Driscoll, Longman, 1997
- Náhradní obsah: Physics:Reader. Ivana Tulajová Přírodovědecká fakulta Masarykova univerzita Brno 2000
- Angličtina pre fyzikov. Edited by Alena Zemanová. 1. vyd. Bratislava : Univerzita Komenského Bratislava, 2007. 98 s. ISBN 978-80-223-2272.
- Náhradní obsah: Science. Keith Kelly. Macmillan 2008. ISBN 978-0-2305-3506-0
- GRELLET, Françoise. Developing reading skills : a practical guide to reading comprehension exercises. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1981. 252 s. ISBN 0521283647. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate students of English : with answers. 3rd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. x, 379. ISBN 0521537622. info
- CRAVEN, Miles and Brigit VINEY. English grammar in use CD-ROM. Version 1.0hundreds of additional exercises to accompany the third edition of the book. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. 1 CD-ROM +. ISBN 0521537606. info
- Academic writing course :study skills in English. Edited by R.R Jordan. 1st ed. Essex: Longman, 1999. 160 s. ISBN 0-582-40019-8. info
- Academic vocabulary in use. Edited by Michael McCarthy - Felicity O'Dell. Cambridge : Cambridge University Press, 2008. 176 s. ISBN 978-0-521-68939.
- Teaching methods
- Course of English for specific purposes:text analysis, reading comprehension,listening activities,listening comprehension, discussion (in pairs, groups, plenary),looking for relevant information on the Internet, presentations
- Assessment methods
- active participation in classes (80%), abstract, presentation, taking part in conference organisation
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
Spring Term 2021 will be online through MS Teams.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/spring2021/JAF04