PřF:Bi6721 Spec. Meth. Microorg. Anal. I. - Course Information
Bi6721 Special Methods of Microorganisms Analysis I.Faculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Milan Bartoš, Ph.D. (lecturer), prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Hubálek, DrSc. (deputy)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Hubálek, DrSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Zdeněk Hubálek, DrSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Wed 15:00–16:50 E25/209
- The course is destined for students of microbiology and other students which are interested in new methods of analysis of microorganisms. The prerequisit is the examination in the course from Molecular Biology (Bi4020).
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course, students should be able to: understand and explain the principles of basic molecular biology methods and chemotaxonomic ones, propose the procedure for the solving of real problem, to realize differences of methods used for bacteria and yeasts; interpret the results.
- Methods of microorganisms analysis. Isolation of nucleic acid.
- Isolation of DNA and mtDNA from yeasts.
- Fragmentation of DNA molecules. Restriction enzymes.
- Analysis of nucleic acids using electromigration methods.
- Analysis of nucleic acids using chromatographic methods.
- Sequence analysis. Spectrophotometric analysis of nucleic acids.
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Methods of protein analysis. Chromatographic determination of microbial metabolites and bacterial cell components.
- Principles of quantitative analysis.
- Immunomagnetic and affinity based separation techniques in microorganisms diagnostics.
- recommended literature
- 1. Rickwood D., Hames B.D. (eds.) Gel electrophoresis of nucleic acids. 2 nd ed. IRL Press, Oxford 1990. 2. Sinden R.R. DNA structure and fuction. Academic Press, San Diego 1994. 3. Churáček J. a kol. Analytická separace látek. SNTL, Praha 1990.
- Rozsypal S. a kol. Úvod do molekulární biologie, IV, 3 vydání, Brno 2002
- G. C. Saunders, H. C. Parkers. Analytical Molecular Biology, RSC, Cambridge 1999.
- ŠMARDA, Jan, Jiří DOŠKAŘ, Roman PANTŮČEK, Vladislava RŮŽIČKOVÁ and Jana KOPTÍKOVÁ. Metody molekulární biologie (Methods of molecular biology). 1st ed. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2005. 194 pp. 1. vydání. ISBN 80-210-3841-1. info
- Teaching methods
- The teaching methods make use of presentations on stencils. Presentations of the results of own analysis of real samples are included and used for the explanation of problems. The course is followed up by a practical course.
- Assessment methods
- The course is closed with a test. The test contains 30 questions, which must be answered briefly. Each student must correctly answered 20 questions. The overall result of the exam is evaluated by the examiner.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses