ESF:MPF_DIS1 Diploma Thesis Seminar 1 - Course Information
MPF_DIS1 Diploma Thesis Seminar 1Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 12 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Ing. František Kalouda, CSc., MBA (seminar tutor)
prof. Ing. Oldřich Rejnuš, CSc. (seminar tutor)
doc. Ing. Eva Vávrová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. Eva Vávrová, Ph.D.
Department of Finance - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Iva Havlíčková
Supplier department: Department of Finance - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- MPF_TEDP Master Thesis
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of the seminar is to acquaint students with content data and formal requirements for a diploma thesis. The structure of the course including a brief content of seminars.
The diploma thesis seminar takes place in two basic forms. The first part represents a joint seminar organized in the separate specialized fields. The second part has more individual character and its form depends on a particular tutor of the diploma thesis. Some of them will prefer having joint consultations with students, the others will work with their students individually. It makes the course very flexible and the structure mentioned above is rather tentative.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course the student will be able to:
- formulate a thesis objectives and hypotheses,
- choose appropriate methods of solution,
- formulate conclusions of the diploma thesis and prepare arguments for the defens.
- 1st week: Introductory seminar dealing with its organization and objectives, importance of diploma thesis, its content and formal essentials, ways of quoting, work with graphic parts of text and tables, criteria for evaluation of diploma thesis, introduction to diploma thesis and its essentials, setting objectives, definition of problem areas as one of most important parts of diploma thesis.
- 2nd week: Methodology. Choice of appropriate methods depending on objectives and subject of diploma thesis. How to succesfully defend diploma thesis. Discussion of examples.
- 3rd week: Diploma thesis defense. How to succesfully defend diploma thesis. What to focus on.
- 4th-12th week – Individual work on setting objectives and stucture of diploma thesis, searching for relevant sources of literature. Continuous consultations of results achieved and partial review of first half of thesis. Consultations on further progress in processing final thesis. Revise of work with literature, further recommendations for completion of work.
- At the end of this period the whole concept of the work should be entirely clear between the student and the tutor of the diploma thesis. Individually, further collection, processing relevant information, its evaluation and follow-up consultations are also possible.
- 13th week – Formulation of introduction to thesis. Recapitulation and summarization of work with sources of literature, consultations and its evaluation. Working out introductory part of thesis.
- required literature
- Aktuální studijní materiály předmětu Akademické psaní. https://www.econ.muni.cz/akap/
- NEKUDA, Jaroslav, Lucie KUŽELÍKOVÁ and Jiří POLÁČEK. Sociálně-ekonomické informace a práce s nimi. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2008. 88 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-4577-4. info
- Manuál studenta
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, person-to-person tuition, literature search, personal presentation.
- Assessment methods
- The procedure of processing the thesis and participation in the consultations are assessed at the end of the semester. Credits are granted for an active participation not only in the introductory seminar, but also in the individual consultations with the tutor of the diploma thesis and for meeting the conditions defined by the tutor.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Student má povinnost na začátku semestru kontaktovat svého vedoucího práce a dohodnout s ním podmínky zpracování práce.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses