ESF:MPJ_JII1Aa Foreign Language II/1 - E - Course Information
MPJ_JII1Aa Foreign Language II/1 - EnglishFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Silvie Bilková (lecturer)
Mgr. Markéta Kovaříková (lecturer)
Mgr. Eva Lukáčová (lecturer)
Ing. Mgr. Blanka Pojslová (lecturer)
Mgr. Erika Putnová (lecturer)
Mgr. Ladislav Václavík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Zuzana Vašíčková (lecturer)
Mgr. Markéta Oplatková Plocková (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Eva Lukáčová
Language Centre, Faculty of Economics and Administration Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Mgr. Lucie Jurková
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Economics and Administration Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- MPJ_JII1Aa/01: Mon 10:00–11:50 S314, E. Putnová
- The prerequisite for active involvement in this course is mastering the language skills at B1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages. Students can improve their skills in the preparatory courses MPJ_JIIAA and MPJ_JIIBA. Students can test their knowledge by completing a self-evaluation on-line test.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 100 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 13/100, only registered: 0/100, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/100
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 27 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Language II/1 pays particular attention to the specialized language of economics seen as a basis of successful and effective business communication.
In the course students practise their ability to
- understand specialized texts,
- identify and interpret their main ideas.
Students learn to role-play conversations in business situations and master basic types of business correspondence.
Knowledge acquired in this course will serve as a basis for the follow-up course in the summer term which is finished by an exam at the B2 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- 1. Unit 1: Companies – Keynotes, Preview, Reading (A matter of choice), Vocabulary 1. 2. Unit 1: Companies – Language check (review of tenses), Vocabulary 2, Career skills, Dilemma and Decision. 3. Business letter writing theory and practice 4. Unit 3: Strategy – Keynotes, Preview, Listening 1, Reading (Nike's Goddess), Vocabulary 1&2 5. Unit 3: Strategy – Language check (future forms), Listening 2, Career skills, Dilemma and Decision 6. Unit 5: Development – Keynotes, Preview, Listening 1, Reading (Gas for Peru v green imperialism), Vocabulary 1&2 7. Unit 5: Development – Language check (modal verbs of likelihood), Career skills, Dilemma and decision 8. Unit 8: Finance – Keynotes, Listening 1, Listening 2, Reading (Europe's Enron) 9. Unit 8: Finance – Vocabulary, Language check (adjectives and adverbs), Career skills, Dilemma and decision 10. Unit 9: Recruitment – Keynotes, Preview, Listening 1, Reading (A Full House), Vocabulary 1 11. Unit 9: Recruitment – Vocabulary 2, Language check (relative pronouns), Listening 2, Career skills, Dilemma and Decision 12. Revision 13. Credit test
- required literature
- Intelligent Business Intermediate Coursebook/CD Pack Author(s): Tonya Trappe,Graham Tullis ISBN: 9781408255995
- recommended literature
- MURPHY, Raymond. Essential grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for elementary students of English : with answers. Second edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997. 300 stran. ISBN 0521559286. info
- DYNDA, Antonín and Eva DYNDOVÁ. Česko-anglická obchodní korespondence. 4. opravené. vyd. Praha: Pragoeduca, 2001. xxix, 520. ISBN 80-85856-89-1. info
- Intelligent Business Intermediate Workbook and CD pack Author(s): Louise Pile ISBN: 9780582846913
- Teaching methods
- The course is taught in the form of seminars.
- Assessment methods
- The course is concluded by a credit test. Students are allowed to sit the credit test if they meet the following requirements:
1. 80% attendance in seminars
2. Active participation - continuous preparation, homework
3. Two business letters.
A credit test is considered successful if a student reaches at least 60% of points.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses