FSS:POLd0104 Electoral studies - Course Information
POLd0104 Electoral studies: theory and approachesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 10 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PhDr. Roman Chytilek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Maxmilián Strmiska, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jakub Šedo, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Roman Chytilek, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Lucie Pospíšilová
Supplier department: Division of Politology - Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! POL025 Electoral studies && ! NOW ( POL025 Electoral studies )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 12 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course provides students with topical research topics in the field of electoral studies.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course the student will be able to: - to interpret current research debates in the field electoral studies - perform independent research work in the field electoral studies - work with large election datasets
- The course consists of: 1. Individual consultations 2. Self-study of the suggested readings and 3. Preparation of seminar tasks. 1st task: essay-position paper in the range of 10 standard pages to a selected issue in the field of elections or electoral systems (assigned by the teacher) 2nd assignment: seminar work in approx. 25 normostrank-manuscript of the article, filling the gap in knowledge in one of the current issues of electoral studies (assigned by the teacher)
- CHYTILEK, Roman. Politický prostor a politická témata. Studie k soutěži politických stran. (Policy Space and Issues: A Study on Party Competition). Brno: Centrum pro studium demokracie a kultury, 2014. 203 pp. Politologická řada/ svazek 48. ISBN 978-80-7325-357-8. info
- TAAGEPERA, Rein. Making social sciences more scientific : the need for predictive models. New York: Oxford University Press, 2008. xv, 254. ISBN 9780199534661. info
- TAAGEPERA, Rein. Predicting party sizes : the logic of simple electoral systems. 1st ed. New York: Oxford University Press, 2007. xxi, 314. ISBN 9780199287741. info
- ŠEDO, Jakub. Volební systémy postkomunistických zemí. 1. vyd. Brno: Centrum pro studium demokracie a kultury (CDK), 2007. 419 s. ISBN 9788073251376. info
- Teaching methods
- individual consultation with teachers
- Assessment methods
- essay (25%), article manuscript, submitted for peer review (75%)
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.