FSS:SOCn6202 Population Studies - Course Information
SOCn6202 Population StudiesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 10 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. PhDr. Ladislav Rabušic, CSc. (lecturer)
Beatrice Elena Chromková Manea, M.A., Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petr Fučík, PhD. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Ladislav Rabušic, CSc.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- Tue 14:00–15:40 U34
- ! SOC590 Population Studies && SOUHLAS
Students are expected to pass some courses concerning populations matters at BA level so that they know some approaches of formal demography as well they knowhot to get access and how to analyze quantitative population data.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 9/25, only registered: 1/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 1/25
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- To deepen knowledge on population knowledge and trends; understand heterogenetiy in population developments;identify research topics and choose adequate methodology. The course can aserve as the basiss for diploma theses.
- Learning outcomes
- To understand the current dobates in the field of Population Studies and to acces critically temporary social science approuches to population problems. • Evaluate the position of the Czech Republic from the point of view of population development in larger international context.
- Population studies • Demographic structure and its effects for society • Marriages, unmarried cohabitation, divorce and unstability of partnership • Current trends in fertility • Mortality, morbidity, and health • Well-being and the quality of life • Gender in population studies • World population and carrying capacity of Earth • Population policies
- required literature
- Relevantní statě z nejnovější časopisecké produkce z oblasti popualčních studií
- Handbook of population. Edited by Dudley L. Poston. 2nd ed. 2019. Cham: Springer, 2019. xxi, 914. ISBN 9783030109097. info
- WEEKS, John R. Population : an introduction to concepts and issues. Twelfth edition. Boston: Cengage Learning, 2016. xxv, 580. ISBN 9781305094505. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, discussion, presentations, research paper
- Assessment methods
- written final test, research paper, class activity/presentation
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials