FSS:BSSn4404 Conflict research - Course Information
BSSn4404 Conflict researchFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 8 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. PhDr. Jan Holzer, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Miriam Matejova, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Josef Kraus, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Tomáš Zwiefelhofer (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Jan Holzer, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Mgr. Lucie Pospíšilová
Supplier department: Division of Security and Strategic Studies - Department of Political Science - Faculty of Social Studies
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! BSS404 Conflict research && ! NOW ( BSS404 Conflict research )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Security and Strategic Studies (programme FSS, N-PL)
- Course objectives
- The cours offers an overview of theoretical outcomes for the conflict research. The knowledge obtained at this course provides students to a thorough analysis of armed conflicts in the various parts of the world with the appropriate methodological, typological and analytic apparatus, which will be introduced in this course.
- 1. Definition and understanding of the topic 2. Incompatibility of goals – theoretical setting 3. Conflict motives – values, interests, etc. 4. Conflict process and dynamics 5. Types and intensity of conflict 6. Conflict resolution 7. Outcomes of conflict 8. Conflict economy 9. Clausewitzian war 10. Irregular conflict 11. Unarmed types of conflict (sanctions, embargos, etc.) 12. Conflicts in weak states
- HIRONAKA, Ann. Neverending wars : the international community, weak states, and the perpetuation of civil war. London: Harvard University Press, 2005. 191 s. ISBN 9780674027398. info
- BARTOS, Otomar J. and Paul Ernest WEHR. Using conflict theory. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2002. xi, 219. ISBN 0521794463. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, discussions, position papers, seminar papers
- Assessment methods
- The student is to work out a seminal paper, position paper and written examination.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2022/BSSn4404