PrF:SOC041 Introduction to Legal English - Course Information
SOC041 Introduction to Legal English for Erasmus StudentsFaculty of Law
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- PhDr. Radoslava Šopovová (lecturer)
Mgr. Štěpánka Bilová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- PhDr. Radoslava Šopovová
Faculty of Law
Contact Person: doc. JUDr. Ing. Michal Radvan, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Faculty of Law
- Thu 14:00–15:40 302
- Intermediate level of English and essential background knowledge of law
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course can be seen in;
improving the ability to write common legal text types;
improving the ability to read and understand legal texts;
increasing the comprehension of spoken English on legal topics;
strengthening the speaking skills in the environment of legal practice;
- 1. Introduction, syllabus, requirements, aims, literature, etc., What is law?;
- 2. The legal system" bodies of law, sources of law - common law, equity;
- 3. The legal system: sources of law - types of laws;
- 4. Expaining what a law says and classification of law;
- 5.Types of courts: civil courts, persons in court and documents in court;
- 6.Types of courts: criminal courts and persons in court;
- 7. Legalese and legal Latin;
- 8. A career in the law, lawyers at work, legal education;
- 9. A lawyer´s CV, law firm structure and its description;
- 10.Practice areas and law firm culture;
- 11.Presentations 12.Final test
- KROIS-LINDNER, Amy. International legal English : a course for classroom or self-study use : [students' book with audio CDs]. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006. 320 s. ISBN 9780521675178. info
- Teaching methods
- Seminars with the active participation of students motivated to developing their language skills, i.e. writing, reading, speaking and listening.
- Assessment methods
- The students will be continuously assessed, they are expected to comply with the requirement of completing special tasks - a written assignment, presentation and listening activities, and they are expected to sit for and pass a multiple choice test.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/law/spring2019/SOC041