LF:VSBC0422p Biochemistry II -l - Course Information
VSBC0422p Biochemistry II -lFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: RZk (examination).
- prof. MUDr. Vladimír Palyza, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. MUDr. Jaromír Sláma, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Eva Táborská, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. MUDr. Jaromír Sláma, CSc.
Department of Biochemistry - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Digestion and absorption of lipids, plasma lipoproteins. Metabolism of fatty acids, ketogenesis. Synthesis of TG, fat mobilization.
- Synthesis and breakdown of phospho- and glycolipids. Cholesterol biosynthesis and utilization.
- Interrelationships among the major pathways involved in energy metabolism. The tricarboxylic acid cycle. Synthesis of haem.
- Biosynthesis and catabolism of purine and pyrimidine nucleotides. Biological membranes and transport through membranes.
- Mitochondria. Mitochondrial electron transport chain, proton motive force, synthesis of ATP, oxidative phosphorylation.
- Chromatin, DNA replication and transcription. Protein synthesis by translation of mRNA and post-translational processing.
- Proteins of striated muscle, muscle contraction. Similarities and differences between skeletal, cardiac, and smooth muscle.
- Collagen synthesis and ripening, elastin, and proteoglycans.
- Neurons, neurotransmission - cholinergic, adrenergic, and inhibitory synapses. The gastrointestinal tract.
- Transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide. Control of acid-base balance. Blood osmolality, fluid and electrolyte balance.
- Normal renal and hepatic functions.
- Catabolism of haemoglobin, bilirubin metabolism, metabolism of iron, copper, and of xenobiotics.
- Control of metabolism. Mechanism of hormone action, intracellular (soluble) and plasma membrane receptors.
- The biological effects of some hormones. The immune response, antigens and immunoglobulin structures.
- Chemical factors in the environment. Toxic and harmful compounds assigned to the risk and safety phrases under European legislation.
- MURRAY, Robert, Daryl GRANNER, Peter MAYES and Victor RODWELL. Harperova biochemie (Harper's Biochemistry). 2. české vydání. Jinočany: Nakladatelství H & H, 1998. 872 pp. ISBN 80-85787-38-5. info
- Biochemistry :a concise text for medical students. Edited by D. K. Apps. 5th ed. London: Bailliere Tindall, 1992. vii, 448 s. ISBN 0-7020-1444-3. info
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/spring2002/VSBC0422p