LF:BLKHM0321c Histopath. Tech. I - Course Information
BLKHM0321c Histopathological Techniques IFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. MUDr. Drahomír Horký, DrSc. (lecturer)
MUDr. Irena Lauschová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. MUDr. Miroslava Sedláčková, CSc. (lecturer)
Jana Puklová (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. MUDr. Miroslava Sedláčková, CSc.
Department of Histology and Embryology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: doc. MUDr. Miroslava Sedláčková, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Histology and Embryology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- BLKHV0211c Histopatol.methods-pract.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Laboratory Assistant (programme LF, B-SZ)
- Course objectives
- Course objectives
At the end of the course students should be able to:
1. Manipulate devices of histologic laboratory.
2. Accomplish tissue processing for light microscopy (taking of material, fixation, embedding, cutting on different types of microtomes, staining).
3. Eplain and practically perform some histochemical and immunohistochemical methods.
4. Describe tissue processing for electron microscopy.
- Equipment of histologic laboratory. Safety in the histologic laboratory with special respect to work with microtomes and chemicals.
- Taking of material for histologic examination. Fixation, physical and chemical methods of fixation, advantage and disadvantage of both methods. Principal types of fixatives - formaldehyde, picric acid, mercuric chloride, other fixatives.
- Principles of tissue embedding into paraffin wax or paraplast. Practical implementation of dehydration, clearing, and embedding.
- Embedding of hard tissues into celloidin, embedding into water soluble media.
- Cutting of tissue blocks, sliding and rotary microtomes, freezing microtome, cryostat.
- Cutting of tissue blocks on sliding microtome. Stretching and sticking of sections. Common faults.
- Cutting of tissue blocks on rotary microtome: successive sections.
- Staining of sections. Types of histologic staining dyes. Preparation of staining solutions.
- Hematoxylin-eosin staining.
- Other staining methods. AZAN, impregnation. Weigert - van Gieson staining.
- Histopathologic methods, staining of amyloid.
- Evidence of inorganic substances. Evidence of some pigments - hemoglobin, melanin.
- Mallory staining.
- Basics of immunohistochemistry.
- Evidence of polysaccharides - evidence of glycogen by PAS reaction and Best carmine.
- Preparation of hard tissues.
- Evidence of lipids by lipid soluble staining dyes.
- Tissue processing for electron microscopy.
- required literature
- VACEK, Zdeněk. Histologie a histologická technika. 1. vyd. Brno: Institut pro další vzdělávání pracovníků ve zdravotnictví, 1995. 184 s. ISBN 80-7013-202-7. info
- recommended literature
- Theory and practice of histological techniques. Edited by John D. Bancroft - Marilyn Gamble. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2003. xiii, 796. ISBN 0443064350. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical training in histological laboratory.
- Assessment methods
- Giving the course-unit credit is conditioned by full attendance in the practical training. Adequate theoretical knowledge will be tested.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every other week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 12 h/semestr.