LF:aVLBF011c Biophysics - pract. - Course Information
aVLBF011c Biophysics - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/4/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- prof. RNDr. Vojtěch Mornstein, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Vladan Bernard, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Aleš Bourek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Ing. Marek Dostál (seminar tutor)
MUDr. Lenka Forýtková, CSc. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Erik Staffa, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Daniel Vlk, CSc. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Vojtěch Mornstein, CSc.
Department of Biophysics - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Vojtěch Mornstein, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Biophysics - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- aVLBF011c/30: Tue 14:30–17:50 N04009/309
aVLBF011c/31: Tue 14:30–17:50 N04013/313
aVLBF011c/32: Wed 13:10–16:30 N04014/314
aVLBF011c/33: Mon 7:30–10:50 N04009/309
aVLBF011c/34: Mon 7:30–10:50 N04013/313
aVLBF011c/35: Mon 7:30–10:50 N04014/314
aVLBF011c/36: Tue 14:30–17:50 N04014/314
aVLBF011c/37: Mon 11:00–14:20 N04014/314
aVLBF011c/38: Wed 13:10–16:30 N04013/313
aVLBF011c/39: Wed 13:10–16:30 N04009/309
- Basic concepts of high school physics
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- General Medicine (eng.) (programme LF, M-VL)
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should be able:
understand and explain biophysical principles and laws; operate basic biophysical devices; evaluate obtained data by the basic biophysical methods in light of a scientific, effective, safe and efficient attitude to their use; understand principles of the more complex therapeutical and diagnostical medical devices;
describe possible usage of the biopfysical techniques and medical devices in practice;
At the end of this course the student will also have to demonstrate basic skills and habbits in data handling and processing of health related data, information and concepts, and the ability of making reasoned decisions as defined in the following paragraphs: 1. Searching, retrieval, storage, use of data, information and knowledge in medical decision making in diagnostics, treatment. 2. Improvement of skills in critical thinking especially in the area of Evidence Based Medicine. 3. Understanding the logics of the health and health care environment, communication with professionals and lay community. 4. Gaining initial insight in the core areas of health care informatics competences (possibilities, limitations and risks) in use of information and communication technologies in a medical environment. This is not a course in computer literacy (working with software programs).
- Learning outcomes
- After finishing the course the student will be able to:
- explain biophysical principles and laws necessary to operate basic measuring instruments;
- evaluate obtained data by the basic biophysical methods; understand principles underlying the complex therapeutical and diagnostical medical devices;
- substantiate possible usage of the biopfysical techniques and medical devices in practice;
- to independently and actively seek and use tools, procedures and processes facilitating the correct use of information society environment for more effective study of medicine and more efficient provision of medical services in individual medical specialties;
- to understand the possibilities and risks of digitization and use of digital information and communication tools in the process of providing medical services; The student will get a general overview of the benefits of the information society in the medical domain and will acquire basic behavioral habits in this field.
- Practical exercises on biophysics
- 1. Introduction, regulations of practical exercises, laboratory safety rules, etc. An introduction to the theory of measurement.
- 2. Information (overview and evolution). Medical informatics (definitions, the subject). Information technologies (hardware, software, OS, LAN, WAN).
- 3. Information resources (data mining - data warehousing). Information systems (HIS, expert systems, AI, CME).
- 4. Measurement of liquid viscosity. Measurement of surface tension of liquids
- 5. Eosin absorption curve. Spectrophotometrical determination of concentration of eosin. Refractometric determination of NaCl concentration. Polarimetry.
- 6. Audiometry. Measurement of the blood presure. Ergometry.
- 7. Temperature measurement with a thermocouple. Measuring surface skin temperature with a thermistor. Measuring enviromental parameters (noise).
- 8. Haemolysis of erythrocyte suspension by therapeutic ultrasound. Measuring ionising radiation absorption.
- 9. Measuring the voltage and frequency of electric signals by the oscilloscope. Measuring skin resistance. Measuring tissue model impedance. Analysis of acoustic elements of human voice.
- 10. Electromagnetic radiation. Measuring the cooling effect of the environment. Catathermometry. Measuring the illuminance, Luxmeter.
- 11. Contact and contactless thermography. Thermocamera and thermovision. Physiotherapy.
- 12. Electrodiagnostic, electrotherapeutic methods. Individual measuring of the ECG. Electrical excitability. Effect of the direct and alternating currents.
- 13. Advanced imaging methods. Ultasound – diagnostic and therapeutic usage. Doppler measuring of the velocity of the blood flow. X-rays and Tomography. NMR.
- 14. Knowledge test.
- Teaching methods
- Practical exercises
- Assessment methods
- Basic requirement is the full atendance in the lessons. Theoretical knowledges of the principles used methods are continuously controled by oral examination, in case of fundamental ignorance, student can be excluded from a lesson. For all tasks students must elaborate comprehensive and unique report, these are graded. If are two or more reports graded as "unsuccessful", student cannot write a closing test. Course is finished by the multiple choice test consisting usually 20 questions, evaluated by 20 points. For successfully mastered test student need at least 10 points.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Ukončeno závěrečným testem
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information