LF:aVLBI0222c Medical Biology II - pract. - Course Information
aVLBI0222c Medical Biology II - practiceFaculty of Medicine
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/3/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- prof. RNDr. Ondřej Slabý, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Kateřina Cetkovská, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Felicity Anne Feiser (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Francová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Sebastiano Giallongo (seminar tutor)
Monica Medappa (seminar tutor)
Master Alexandru Nită (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Markéta Nováková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Daniel Pereira de Sousa, MSc (seminar tutor)
Sara Poovakulathu Abraham, MSc (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Petra Pospíšilová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
prof. MUDr. Iva Slaninová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Barbora Valčíková (seminar tutor)
Jana Růžičková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Ondřej Slabý, Ph.D.
Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
Contact Person: Ing. Lívia Eiselleová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Biology - Theoretical Departments - Faculty of Medicine
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- aVLBI0222c/28: Mon 1. 3. to Thu 27. 5. Thu 12:00–12:30 B07/214, Thu 12:30–14:00 B07/214, Thu 12:30–14:00 B07/217, Thu 14:00–14:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/29: Mon 1. 3. to Tue 25. 5. Tue 10:00–10:30 B07/214, Tue 10:30–12:00 B07/214, Tue 10:30–12:00 B07/217, Tue 12:00–12:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/30: Mon 1. 3. to Wed 26. 5. Wed 11:00–11:30 B07/214, Wed 11:30–13:00 B07/214, Wed 11:30–13:00 B07/217, Wed 13:00–13:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/31: Mon 1. 3. to Tue 25. 5. Tue 7:00–7:30 B07/214, Tue 7:30–9:00 B07/214, Tue 7:30–9:00 B07/217, Tue 9:00–9:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/32: Mon 1. 3. to Mon 24. 5. Mon 8:00–8:30 B07/214, Mon 8:30–10:00 B07/214, Mon 8:30–10:00 B07/217, Mon 10:00–10:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/33: Mon 1. 3. to Tue 25. 5. Tue 13:00–13:30 B07/214, Tue 13:30–15:00 B07/217, Tue 13:30–15:00 B07/214, Tue 15:00–15:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/34: Mon 1. 3. to Wed 26. 5. Wed 15:30–16:00 B07/214, Wed 16:00–17:30 B07/217, Wed 16:00–17:30 B07/214, Wed 17:30–18:00 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/35: Mon 1. 3. to Thu 27. 5. Thu 15:00–15:30 B07/214, Thu 15:30–17:00 B07/217, Thu 15:30–17:00 B07/214, Thu 17:00–17:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/36: Mon 1. 3. to Fri 28. 5. Fri 8:30–9:00 B07/214, Fri 9:00–10:30 B07/217, Fri 9:00–10:30 B07/214, Fri 10:30–11:00 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/37: Mon 1. 3. to Wed 26. 5. Wed 8:00–8:30 B07/214, Wed 8:30–10:00 B07/217, Wed 8:30–10:00 B07/214, Wed 10:00–10:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/38: Mon 1. 3. to Mon 24. 5. Mon 14:00–14:30 B07/214, Mon 14:30–16:00 B07/217, Mon 14:30–16:00 B07/214, Mon 16:00–16:30 B07/214
aVLBI0222c/39: Mon 1. 3. to Fri 28. 5. Fri 11:30–12:00 B07/214, Fri 12:00–13:30 B07/217, Fri 12:00–13:30 B07/214, Fri 13:30–14:00 B07/214
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- aVLBI0121c Biology I - pract.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 6 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course are:
- learning the methods of risk evaluation for hereditary diseases of various molecular background in patients based on family anamneses
- understanding the basic principles of gene engineering
- understanding and practicing selected molecular methods used for examination of some cancers or hereditary and infectious diseases with regard to the selection of appropriate therapy
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- evaluate the risk of hereditary diseases of various molecular background in patients based on assigned family anamneses of the diseases
- describes the basic principles of genetic prognosis and genetic counseling
- suggest and perform basic molecular-genetic diagnostic examinations of some hereditary, tumour and infectious diseases (PCR, restriction digest, gel electrophoresis), and to interpret the obtained results
- explain selected basic techniques of gene engineering and their application in medicine, and, with knowledge of the used method, to select the clones of cells with an inserted gene
- explain the basic laboratory tests used in genetic toxicology and the overall use of genetic toxicology, and to interpret the results obtained by selected methods
- Week 1: Genetic disorders - autosomal inheritance
- Week 2: Genetic disorders - gonosomal inheritance
- Week 3: Extensions to basic genetics
- Week 4: Genetic prognosis and genetic counselling
- Week 5: Human population genetics
- Week 6: Control test 3 (knowledge from week 1 to week 5 of the spring semester - practices only)
- Week 7: Molecular diagnostics of cancer
- Week 8: Molecular diagnostics of cancer
- Week 9: Gene engineering – production of human proteins in bacterial cells
- Week 10: Gene engineering – production of human proteins in bacterial cells
- Week 11: Molecular diagnostics of human pathogenic bacteria
- Week 12: Molecular diagnostics of human pathogenic bacteria
- Week 13: Control test 4 (knowledge from week 7 to week 12 of the spring semester - practices only)
- Week 14: dissection week - no practices Re-sit test
- Week 15: dissection week - no practices, credit awarding
- required literature
- Protocols for practices are provided in electronic form in the Information System of the Masaryk University in the Study Materials of the course aVLBI0222c
- Teaching methods
- laboratory practice, class discussion
- Assessment methods
- Practical classes are mandatory.
Requirements for course completion: full attendance in the practices (1 absence, excused or unexcused, is allowed); all protocols completed (also for missed lessons) and checked and signed by appropriate teachers; successfully passed 2 written control tests during the semester (20 questions each, 4 possibilities, 1 answer correct, student need to reach at least 24 points out of 40 from both of the tests). In case you do not pass control tests and their re-sit, you have to pass the final test (Credit test) based on knowledge of the entire semester lectures and practices. The test comprises of 20 questions: 10 test questions (multiple answers can be correct, negative marking is obtained for incorrect answers) + 10 given terms for a written explanation. At least 10 points out of 20 are needed to pass.
In case of a student’s late arrival to the practice or poor activity at the practice, the student is required to write an essay in the length of 2 pages on a given topic. Same for the case of 2nd and any additional absence in practices (excused or unexcused). Find the instructions for essay writing in the Course-related instructions in the IS. Bring the essay printed to the teacher who specified the topic, and be ready to answer the teacher's questions regarding the topic.
In case of 3 absences, (or more than 3 absences all excused by the Office for Studies within 5 days from the beginning of the absence and introduced to the Information System), it is addressed individually and course-unit credit is awarded only after the proof of the student's knowledge of the entire semester topics (Credit test, see above).
In the case of 4 or more unexcused absences, the course-unit credit is not awarded.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 45.
- Teacher's information
What to bring to each practice: printed protocol for the respective practice, your own writing materials. Download the protocol for each practice from the Study materials in the IS, and study it in advance. Lab shoes required, lab coats and disposable gloves are not required, but for the tasks with staining lab coats are recommended.
Substitution of practices: In exceptional cases (illness, appointment at the doctor’s or foreign policy, 1 or 2 times per semester as maximum) students can arrange a substitution with another group. To arrange a substitution, write an e-mail to the contact person of the course at least 24 hours before your planned substitution and specify the group (date and time) you would like to attend instead. Substitution is only possible on the same teaching week. When the capacity of the group you intended to substitute with is fully used, the substitution does not need to be approved. Repeated substitution with other groups is not allowed.
Complete Biology instructions to be found at the following link:
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/med/spring2021/aVLBI0222c