PdF:HTP025 English for PhD Studies - C1 - Course Information
HTP025 English for PhD Studies - C1Faculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 7 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- Daniel Gerrard, M.A. (lecturer)
Mgr. Radim Herout (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Radim Herout
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- HTP025/01: Thu 23. 9. to Thu 16. 12. Thu 10:00–11:50 učebna 53, D. Gerrard
HTP025/02: Thu 23. 9. to Thu 16. 12. Thu 10:00–11:50 učebna 5
- B2 level knowledge of English is required.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 70 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- This C1 level course is intended for doctoral students at the Faculty of Education (with the exception of students from the Didactics of a Foreign Language programme). The course develops all four language skills (speaking, writing, listening and reading) while putting a special emphasis on academic writing and speaking.
- Learning outcomes
- A C1 student can: - understand a wide range of demanding, longer texts, and recognise implicit meaning; - express him/herself fluently and spontaneously without much obvious searching for expressions; - use language flexibly and effectively for social, academic and professional purposes; - produce clear, well-structured, detailed text on complex subjects, showing controlled use of organisational patterns, connectors and cohesive devices.
- SESSION 1: Introduction to academic writing; SESSION 2: The writing process; SESSION 3: Language of classification and definitions; SESSION 4: Coherence and cohesion ; SESSION 5: Language of generalisation, hedging and boosting; SESSION 6: Writing an academic article; SESSION 7: Writing an abstract; SESSION 8: Quoting, paraphrasing and summarising; SESSION 9: Presentation skills; Weeks 10-13: Independent work on the written assignment, peer review and oral presentation.
- required literature
- Study material posted in the course folder in the MU Information System.
- recommended literature
- DVOŘÁČKOVÁ, Veronika, Dita HOCHMANOVÁ and Dita TRČKOVÁ. Anglická terminologie pro učitele Praktický průvodce (English Terminology for Teachers - Practical Guide). Praha: Grada, 2021. 223 pp. ISBN 978-80-271-2470-1. info
- ŠTĚPÁNEK, Libor and Janice de HAAFF. Academic English. 2. aktualizované vydání. Praha: Grada, 2018. 222 stran. ISBN 9788027108428. info
- Teaching methods
- Group discussions; group and individual writing tasks; reading and text analysis; peer review; grammar and vocabulary study.
- Assessment methods
- Credit requirements: 1) attendance (min. five sessions), active participation; 2) ROPOT quizzes (min. six); 3) dissertation proposal (1500 words); 4) peer review (two drafts); 5) oral presentation (10 mins).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on completion of the course: Zkouška podle podmínek pro doktorské studium MU.
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
General note: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia PdF MU.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Kurz je určen pro studenty doktorského studia na PdF MU.