PdF:A2MK_LDML Children's Literature - Course Information
A2MK_LDML Children's LiteratureFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/12. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Irena Přibylová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lucie Podroužková, Ph.D.
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Mgr. Petra Hoydenová
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School and Language School Teacher Training in English Language (programme PdF, N-ZS)
- Course objectives
- An introduction to children's and juvenile literature in English; further focus on young readers and promoting reading.
- 1. Introduction, requirements 2. Children's literature and its study 3. Using children’s literature to teach English as a foreign language to young learners 4. A brief history of children's and juvenile literature - Conception of childhood 5. Fantasy in children's literature 6. Animal stories 7. Stories with boy protagonists 8. Stories with girl protagonists 9. Comics, graphic novels, and manga 10. Simplified books; promoting reading Download texts to themes 2 – 9 from the moodlinka.
- BOBULOVÁ, Ivana. Children's and juvenile literature :(written in English). Vyd. 1. Nitra: Pedagogická fakulta UKF v Nitre, 2003. 189 s. ISBN 80-8050-628-0. info
- Assessment methods (in Czech)
- Requirements: 1) From week to week, read recommended chapters on the moodlinka. 2) Read selected novels, keep a simple reader's diary. The novels should represent these genres (as discussed above): fantasy 1900-1960, fantasy 1960-2007; animal stories; books for boys; books for girls. The choice of 5 books is yours. Read in English. (Write 8-10 pages). 3) Explore the English library (corner, bookcase) at your school, comment on the present state, and suggest improvements. (Write 1-2 pages.) 4) In Brno bookstores, look for 10 books suitable for your students to complete your school library. (Write 1-2 pages). Please note that no handwriting is allowed. Use computer. List down all the necessary details: the author, title, place, publishing house, publishing year/copyright, ISBN number, illustrations, and, if simplified, the level. (If from a bookstore, the price). Bring the file to the colloquium. It will take place in January and/or February 2008, the date will be negotiated in December
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 12 hodin.