PdF:IVk103 Penology - Course Information
IVk103 PenologyFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/.5. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. PhDr. Karel Pančocha, Ph.D., M.Sc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Karel Pančocha, Ph.D., M.Sc.
Institute for Research in Inclusive Education - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: PhDr. Lenka Gajzlerová, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Institute for Research in Inclusive Education - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- IVk103/Kombi01: Sat 29. 2. 8:00–13:50 učebna 20, K. Pančocha
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Special Education for Adults (programme PdF, N-SPD)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to provide students with basic orientation in penology and penitentiary. Students will gain knowledge on penitentiary pedagogy and human rights in the context of imprisonment. Apart from the historical aspect and the definition of the position of penitentiary pedagogy in the hierarchy of pedagogical sciences, the students will be familiarized with the purposes and principles of the prison system, the complex characteristics of convicted persons and their rights and obligations. Emphasis will be placed on the psychological and social aspects of the imprisonment. Students will be familiarized with the conditions of imprisonment, practical issues of prisoners and the possibilities of alternative types of sentences. An integral part of the subject will be the issue of the conditions for resocialization of persons following the execution of imprisonment and crime prevention.
- Penology and penitentiary studies as a discipline, subject, relation to other fields.
- Historical aspects of the development of the prison system in the Czech Republic and in the world; Execution of sentences before imprisonment, development of penitentiary systems.
- The purpose and importance of the execution of the imprisonment and their historical context; Regulation of crime in social practice; Functions of imprisonment from today's point of view.
- Current forms of prison in the Czech Republic; Prison Service of the Czech Republic; Organization of the Czech prison system, present problems and concepts.
- Humanization of prison; Prison in the context of human rights; World and European Trends in Prison.
- Types of punishments according to current Czech legislation; Characteristics of short, medium and long term imprisonment and extraordinary punishment in terms of resocialization practice.
- Rights and obligations of prisoners, internal and external differentiation.
- Programs on the treatment of sentenced prisoners of imprisonment and their brief characteristics; Factors limiting the effectiveness of resocialization programs; Negative phenomena in prison.
- Exercise of custody and imprisonment from a psychosocial point of view (prisons, remand prisons, allegations and convictions, prevention of extraordinary events in custody and punishment).
- Protective measures; Security detentions.
- Execution of imprisonment - methods and procedures of penitentiary pedagogy in prisons; Resocialization.
- The characteristics of the convicted, social and psychological aspects of the punishment.
- Resocialization of persons released from imprisonment; Difficulties, options; Continuous welfare.
- Alternative penalties; Probation and Mediation Service.
- Post-penitentiary care system.
- Crime prevention options.
- required literature
- Sochůrek, J. (2007) Kapitoly z penologie. III. díl, Negativní jevy ve vězení. Liberec: Technická univerzita v Liberci.
- Jůzl, M. (2012) Penitenciaristika a penologie. Brno: Institut mezioborových studií.
- Sochůrek, J. (2007) Úvod do penologie. Liberec: Technická univerzita v Liberci.
- recommended literature
- Foucault, M. (2000) Dohlížet a trestat: kniha o zrodu vězení. Praha: Dauphin.
- Vágnerová, M (2008) Vývojová psychologie pro obor penitenciární péče. Liberec: Technická univerzita v Liberci.
- Teaching methods
- seminar, group discussions
- Assessment methods
- Working with compulsory literature. Seminar work on a subject based on the syllabus of the subject in the range of 5 pages. Active participation in group discussions within the seminar. A group project on the conditions and challenges of post-penitentiary care.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Zapisují studenti specializace Speciální adragogika osob se soc. patol. projevy chování.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 6 hodin.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Zapisují studenti specializace: speciální andragogika osob se soc. patol. projevy chování
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2020/IVk103