PdF:SZ6612 Educational Communication - Course Information
SZ6612 Educational CommunicationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. Mgr. Jana Kratochvílová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Kateřina Lojdová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Radek Pospíšil, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lucie Škarková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. RNDr. Eva Trnová, PhD. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lucie Škarková, Ph.D.
Department of Education - Faculty of Education
Supplier department: Department of Education - Faculty of Education
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! NOWANY ( SZ6012 Educational Communication )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English Language for Education (programme PdF, B-AJ3SA) (2)
- Teacher Training in Foreign Languages - English Language (eng.) (programme PdF, B-SPE)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to
(a) familiarize students (through topics 1-10) with the specifics of classroom communication. This will be achieved by various teaching methods and forms that will allow students to observe and evaluate the diversity of classroom communication when using them in the instruction;
(b) develop student's ability to reflect specific educational situations in relation to characteristics of classroom communication as well as in relation to individual actors of classroom communication (teacher, teacher assistant, pupil, parent).
- Learning outcomes
- On completion of this course, the student will be able to:
• discuss selected issues of classroom communication and use knowledge gained by studying scientific literature to support their arguments (see topics 1-10).
• evaluate their existing educational communication, appoint its strengths and identify ways to improve it.
• provide a schoolmate with constructive feedback on their performance at the seminar, and prove mastery of skills at required level, while also understanding classroom communication in particular teaching situations.
• describe and analyze teaching or educational situation (among other, virtual classroom observations on websites rvp.cz are used) in terms of classroom communication, making use of scientific terminology. Propose an alteration to teaching or educational situation, which corresponds with the rules of effective classroom communication.
- Main topics (syllabus):
- 1. Classroom communication and classroom interaction, affect of teacher's slef-concept on their teaching actions.
- 2. Verbal communication (spoken and written) and nonverbal communication.
- 3. The specifics of classroom communication (IFR structure, dialogue in instruction, conditions, methods, content, resources, objectives).
- 4. Effective communication with parents : teacher - pupil - parent.
- 5. Teacher's questions - according to stages and teaching methods.
- 6. Teacher´s questions - according to cognitive and affective goals.
- 7. Feedback - its types, functions and importance for individual's learning.
- 8. Use of space in classroom communication, proxemics. 9. Techniques of interviewing, listening, summarizing, recapitulation.
- 10. Emotional side of classrroom communications (acceptance, empathy, positivity, expressivity, humor etc.).
- 11. Nonviolent communication.
- 12. Presentation skills – powerpoint.
- required literature
- CAZDEN, Courtney B. Classroom discourse : the language of teaching and learning. 2nd ed. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 2001. vi, 208. ISBN 0325003785. info
- Teaching methods
- Presentations, feedback, reflection
- Assessment methods
- Additional information:
To complete the course successfuly:
- 75% attendance in seminars is required;
- individual performance of the student before the class recorded on a video is a basic requirement, which demonstrates mastery of the rules of effective classroom communication (see topics 1-10), feedback on the student's performance is provided by the teacher and other students of the seminar group (see topic 7);
- further requirement is drafting a written reflection or introspection (in volume of 1-2 pages, 5000 characters) related to the topics specified in the outputs 1 - 4 (e.g. management of communication skills with an emphasis on classroom communication in interaction with pupils, strengths and weaknesses of own communication, etc.). The outputs of this task will be generally accentuated in the seminar, individual feedback will be provided through the evaluation unit in IS MUNI.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials