FaF:FDGSZ_FAF Pharmacognosy - Course Information
FDGSZ_FAF PharmacognosyFaculty of Pharmacy
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 30 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PharmDr. Renata Kubínová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Václav Suchý, DrSc., dr. h.c. (lecturer)
prof. PharmDr. Karel Šmejkal, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PharmDr. Karel Šmejkal, Ph.D.
Faculty of Pharmacy
- FAKULTA ( FaF )
Knowledge of pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, and basics of toxicology of natural compounds
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Pharmacognosy (programme FaF, PH_Fg) (2)
- Course objectives
- The course is to provide in-depth knowledge of pharmacognosy and phytochemistry, with a special focus on areas close to the content of the dissertation. The content of the course is the issue of drugs and excipients of natural origin used in human and veterinary medicine. Pharmacognosy deals with the search for and study of sources of bioactive natural substances and the possibilities of their biotechnological acquisition. It explains the interrelationships and conditions of the formation of secondary metabolites, the mechanism of their effect and the possibilities of practical use. Within phytochemistry, the course also describes the ingredients, defines their structure, which determines the biological properties, deals with their qualitative and quantitative analysis and biological activity. It uses the procedures and methods described in scientific and professional publications with emphasis on the knowledge of science and research contained in world databases containing knowledge from scientific publications and is necessary to increase the student's ability to process knowledge from the described area of knowledge into research texts.
- Learning outcomes
- Deep knowledge of the subject with overlaps into related areas. Ability to independently assess pharmacognostic problems. Knowledge of natural substances, structural characteristics, methods for isolation, biological activities, possible side effects.
- Pharmacognosy methodology. Natural medicines in relation to ČL 2017 and mass-produced medicinal products. Pharmacopoeial methods. drug evaluation. Czech Pharmaceutical Code. Standards. Biosynthesis of natural substances, primary and secondary metabolites, precursors, mutual relations. Sugars and their derivatives. Mono-, oligo- and polysaccharides (starches, mucilages, gums), specific sugars. Glycoconjugates. Glycosides, essential oils, steroids, lipids, bitters, alkaloids, tannins, flavonoids, dyes, substances with hormonal action, proteins, peptides, vitamins. Antibiotics, macrolides, cytostatics, fungal components, animal drugs. Natural substances derived from shikimic acid. Natural substances derived from acetic acid. Natural substances derived from mevalonic acid. Natural substances derived from amino acids. Pharmacotherapeutic groups including natural substances. Pharmacokinetics, elimination, interaction potential. Toxicity of natural substances.
- Teaching methods
- Reading, homework, discussion.
- Assessment methods
- Oral examination.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/pharm/autumn2021/FDGSZ_FAF