FF:AJL02003 English Grammar I - Course Information
AJL02003 English Grammar I (Lecture)Faculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/0/0. 1 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Jana Pelclová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Martina Horáková, Ph.D.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- English Language and Literature (programme FF, B-AJ_) (4)
- English Language and Literature (programme FF, B-AJA_)
- Course objectives
- The objective of the lecture is to talk about the selected topics of English grammar.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will be able to understand the nuances of English grammar and will be able to apply their skills in practice. As a result, they will increase their proficiency in English.
- The following thematic areas will be covered:
- 1. Words and word classes
- 2. Phrases and clauses
- 3. Nouns, pronouns and the simple noun phrase
- 4. Adjectives and adverbs
- 5. Complex noun phrases
- 6. Adverbials
- required literature
- BIBER, Douglas, Susan CONRAD and Geoffrey N. LEECH. Longman student grammar of spoken and written English. First published. Harlow: Longman, 2002. vii, 487. ISBN 9780582237278. info
- recommended literature
- SWAN, M.: Practical English Usage, 3rd Ed., Oxford: OUP, 2005. ISBN 978-0-19-442098-3.
- ALEXANDER, L. G. Longman English grammar. Edited by R. A. Close. London: Longman, 1988. x, 374. ISBN 0582558921. info
- not specified
- CHALKER, Sylvia. A student's English grammar : workbook. First published. Harlow: Longman, 1992. 186 stran. ISBN 0582088194. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. A Practical English Grammar. Exercises 1. 3. vyd. Oxford: University Press, 1990. 181 s. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. A Practical English Grammar. Exercises 2. 3. vyd. Oxford: University Press, 1990. 199 s. info
- ALEXANDER, L. G. Longman English grammar practice. Harlow: Longman, 1990. 250 s. ISBN 0-582-04588-6. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. Structure Drils. A Practical English Grammar. Sv. 1. Oxford: University Press, 1989. 122 s. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. Structure Drils. A Practical English Grammar. Sv. 2. Oxford: University Press, 1989. 116 s. info
- DUŠKOVÁ, Libuše. Mluvnice současné angličtiny : na pozadí češtiny. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 1988. 673 p. info
- THOMSON, A. J. and A. V. MARTINET. A practical english grammar. 3-nd ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1970. xi, 275. info
- Teaching methods
- There are 6 lectures. Students are expected to read the selected chapters.
- Assessment methods
- Assessment: 6 e-tests in elf (each must be above 69.99%).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Information about innovation of course.
- This course has been innovated under the project "Faculty of Arts as Centre of Excellence in Education: Complex Innovation of Study Programmes and Fields at FF MU with Regard to the Requirements of the Knowledge Economy“ – Reg. No. CZ.1.07/2.2.00/28.0228, which is cofinanced by the European Social Fond and the national budget of the Czech Republic.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
Students will be automatically enrolled in elf in the week of September 20.
- Enrolment Statistics (Autumn 2023, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2023/AJL02003