FF:HVK_06 Counterpoint - Course Information
HVK_06 CounterpointFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. PhDr. Miloš Štědroň, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Jana Perutková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Jana Perutková, Ph.D.
Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Jan Karafiát
Supplier department: Department of Musicology - Faculty of Arts
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Students will be acquainted with the specificities of vocal and instrumental polyphonies in the renaissance and baroque music. Basic techniques: imitation, proportion, modality etc. Basic forms: canon, motet, madrigal, passacaglia, fugue etc.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to recognize basic building means such as imitation, proportions, modalities, etc. They also get acquainted with the musical ones the forms in which they were used - canon, moteto, madrigal, passacaglia, fuga etc.
- The overview of the most important situations in the history of counterpoint from Machaut to Bach also with excursions in 19th and 20th century. With the emphasis on German (de la Motte) and Czech (Šín, Hůla, Riesinger) counterpoint textbooks, the basics of simple and double counterpoint are introduced with the help of a large anthology of samples (confrontation of scores and recordings, in vocal situations the participants often sing to understand better the analysed samples.)
- required literature
- HŮLA, Zdeněk. Nauka o kontrapunktu. 1. vyd. Praha: Editio Supraphon, 1985. 323 s. : n. info
- ZARLINO, Gioseffo (1517-1590). Le Institutioni Harmoniche. Benátky 1562 (2. vyd.) online:http://imgbase-scd-ulp.u-strasbg.fr/displayimage.php?album=556&pos=0
- recommended literature
- ŠÍN, Otakar. Nauka o kontrapunktu, imitaci a fuze. Praha: Fr. A. Urbánek a synové, 1936. viii, 196. info
- not specified
- Hůla, Zdeněk: Nauka o kontrapunktu I., II. NKLHU 1957, 1959
- Teaching methods
- lectures, homeworks
- Assessment methods
- Written test + oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Note related to how often the course is taught: 4 hodiny individuálních konzultací.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 8 hodin + 4 hodiny individuálních konzultací.