FF:KSCA203 Chinese Phonetics - Course Information
KSCA203 Chinese PhoneticsFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- Bc. Nina Krutilová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Zuzana Pospěchová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Zuzana Pospěchová, Ph.D.
Department of Chinese Studies - Asia Studies Centre - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Bc. Nina Krutilová
Supplier department: Department of Chinese Studies - Asia Studies Centre - Faculty of Arts
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- KSCA203/01: Mon 14:00–15:40 N43, N. Krutilová
KSCA203/02: Mon 16:00–17:40 G12, N. Krutilová
- No knowledge required.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Chinese Studies (programme FF, B-CS_) (3)
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should be able to:
understand the essentials of Chinese pronunciation;
pronounce correctly Chinese syllables and syllabic combinations;
distinguish between different Chinese syllables and combinations of syllables in listening;
transcribe correctly Chinese syllables into the Latin alphabet using the Chinese transliteration pinyin.
have basic information about phonetics and phonology
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the student should: - have basic theoretical knowledge about phonetics and phonology of Modern Chinese - be able to write Chinese syllables in pinyin transcription - detect correctly Chinese syllables and their combinations - be able to pronounce Chinese syllables and their combinations
- A. Basic characteristics of Chinese phonetic system;
- 1. Chinese syllable structure (initial and final: medial, central, terminal)
- 2. basic information about Chinese tonal system, characteristcs of Chinese tonemes, atonic syllable
- 3. pinyin as the basic Chinese transliteration into the Latin alphabet
- B. Basic pronunciation training
- 1. training of the initials
- 2. training of the finals
- 3. reading of the table of Chinese syllables;
- C. Pinyin
- 1. comparison between the Chinese pinyin and the Czech official transliterations
- 2. differences in writing - finals and initials
- 3. pinyin rules
- D. training in pronunciation and writing
- 1. training in pronunciation - isolated syllables
- 2. training in syllable combinations
- 3. combining syllables with toneme and atonic syllables
- 4. various pronunciations of finals (transformations, erization, other phonetic phenomena)
- Teaching methods
- lectures, training in pronunciation in groups and individually, written tests
- Assessment methods
- test (minimum pass score 75 %) + written test (pinyin, minimum pass score 80%) + oral exam (pronunciation)
attendance in the class - 1 absence allowed during the semester
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Posluchači Čínských studií povinně zapisují v 1. semestru studia.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Zápis mimo program čínská studia je vyloučen.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/KSCA203