FF:KSCA002 Chinese Characters - Course Information
KSCA002 Chinese CharactersFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Táňa Dluhošová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Luboš Bělka, CSc.
Center for Chinese Studies - Department for the Study of Religions - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Lucie Čelková
- Thu 15:50–17:25 M24
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Culture Studies of China (programme FF, B-HS)
- Culture Studies of China (programme FF, B-MS) (2)
- Course objectives
- Seminar introduces basic definitions and terms regarding the study of Chinese characters. It concentrates on practise of writing. The theoretical part puts emphasis on historical development of Chinese characters, its internal structure and divisions of Chinese characters according to their components. The practise oriented part concentrates on the skill to find radical and correct writing.
At the end of the course students should be able to:
- interpret the theoretical knowledge on Chinese language, its writing, and history;
- apply the rules to write correctly Chinese characters;
- identify respective graphic components
- work with Chinese dictionaries
- 1) General Introduction. Basic characteristics of Chinese characters. Elementary terms and concepts.
- 2) Basic strokes and their variations. Stroke order and directions.
- 3) Dictionary Shuo wen jie zi : and structural types of Chinese characters.
- 4) Introduction to selected radicals (1-5) and characters.
- 5) Introduction to selected radicals (50-100) and characters.
- 6) Introduction to selected radicals (100-150) and characters.
- 7) Introduction to selected radicals (150-) and characters.
- 8) Traditional and simplified characters - main principles
- 9) Development of Chinese writing I
- 10) Development of Chinese writing II
- - Conclusion
- ZÁDRAPA, Lukáš; PEJČOCHOVÁ, Michaela. Čínské písmo. Vyd. 1. Praha : Academia, 2009.
- DEFRANCIS, John. The Chinese language : fact and fantasy. Paperback edition. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press, 1986. x, 330. ISBN 0824808665. info
- Teaching methods
- practise of writing, homework for each class consisting of rewriting given Chinese characters (min. 25x),
- Assessment methods
- The emphasis is put on weakly homework, which must be submitted before the end of the semester. The test concentrates on theory regarding Chinese writing (typology, Xu Shen´s structural types of Chinese characters, development of Chinese writing), then on practise (radicals, no. of strokes, simplification)
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Posluchači Kulturních studií Číny povinně zapisují v 1. semestru studia.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Zápis mimo Kulturní studia Číny je podmíněn souhlasem vyučujících.
- Enrolment Statistics (Autumn 2011, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2011/KSCA002