FF:MEDMgr09 Arab.-speaking cultures - Course Information
MEDMgr09 Introduction to the study of Arabic-speaking culturesFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Bc. Silvie Elmoujahid, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Markéta Macura (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Katarina Petrovićová, Ph.D.
Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Erlebachová
Supplier department: Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Tue 12:30–14:05 A21
- TYP_STUDIA ( NMD )
Basic knowledge of the geopolitical history of the Levante region. Interest in the arabic language and culture. Capacity of independent work with scientific texts.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/25, only registered: 0/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/25
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 11 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- In the end of this course the students will have general knowledge about arabic language, its history and present situation. They will have information about the countries that constitute the "arabic world". They will have understanding of the most important customs and traditions in this area, also will learn basic term from the fields of culture and everyday life.
- 1 - introduction class
- 2 - Arabic language (origin, clasification, expansion, writing)
- 3 - Arabic dialects, arabic influence on european laguages
- 4 - The expansion of islam (historical review), arabic speaking world today
- 5 - Arabic speaking countries in the Levant
- 6 - Arabic speaking countries in the North Africa
- 7 - PRESENTATION 1
- 8 - Islam and the time, calendar and holidays
- 9 - Celebrations, music and dance
- 10 - History of fashion
- 11 - Arabic gastronomy
- 12 - Arabistcis in Czech republic
- 13 - PRESENTATION 2
- recommended literature
- HOURANI, Albert Habib. Dějiny arabského světa : od 7. století po současnost. Translated by Šimon Pellar. Vyd. 1. Praha: Nakladatelství Lidové noviny, 2010. 566 s. ISBN 9788074220593. info
- MENDEL, Miloš, Bronislav OSTŘANSKÝ and Tomáš RATAJ. Islám v srdci Evropy : vlivy islámské civilizace na dějiny a současnost českých zemí. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 2007. 499 s. ISBN 9788020015549. info
- BEDNAŘÍKOVÁ, Jarmila, Zdeněk MĚŘÍNSKÝ and Aleš HOMOLA. Stěhování národů a východ Evropy (The great migration of people and the East of Europe). I. Praha: Vyšehrad, 2006. 525 pp. Hitorica. ISBN 80-7021-787-1. info
- Teaching methods
- The classes will have form of lectures acompanied by practical demostrations. Two times in the semestr will take place a presentation class.
- Assessment methods
- The students will be obliged to write and present in of the presentations classes a paper about a book, study or a chapter according to a list of recommanded literature. The assignement of the books will take lace in the introduction class. The course will be terminated by a written exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.