FF:RJA304 Modern and Postmodern Russian - Course Information
RJA304 Modern and Postmodern Russian Literature IFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. PhDr. Josef Dohnal, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Josef Dohnal, CSc. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jiří Gazda, CSc.
Department of Slavonic Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: doc. PhDr. Jiří Gazda, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Slavonic Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 18:00–19:40 A31
- successful participation in the courses on Russian literature of the 18th and 19th century
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course the students will be able:
to understand the origins of the modern Russian literature at the end of the 19th century and at the beginning of the 20th century
to be acquainted with the situation in the society which influenced the situation in Russian literature very much
to know in which extend the Russian literature was connected with the European literature and arts
to show the most important literary streams and to mention the significant authors and their works
- The basic scheme of the course:
- 1. the last third of the 19th century as a time of reactions to the social and historic context and the changes in the attitude towards reality
- 2. pluralism of the artistic attitudes towards reality, symbolism in Europe and in Russia
- 3. literary manifests of that time
- 4. decadent tendencies and their literary representatives
- 5. the journals of the symbolists (Vesy, …) and the main representatives of symbolism in Russian literature
- 6. the tradition of realism and its changes (L. N. Tolstoj, V. G. Korolenko, M. Gorkij, …)
- 7. Andrej Belyj as reformer of the tradition
- 8. poetry at the beginning of the 20th century (“younger” symbolists, other streams)
- 9. drama at the beginning of the 20th century (L. Andreev, M. Gorkij, …)
- 10. the most influencing writers “out of the styles” (I. Bunin, L. Andreev, …)
- 11. futurism in Russian literature
- 12. literature in the time of World War I. and Revolution 1917
- 13. the postrevolutionary period and the beginnings of “socialist realism” as the "only right style" in the Russian literature
- Hrala, M.: Ruská moderní literatura 1890-2000. Praha 2007.
- KASACK, Wolfgang. Slovník ruské literatury 20. století. Translated by Jiří F. Franěk. Praha: Votobia, 2000. 622 s. ISBN 8072200844. info
- Istorija russkoj literatury. T. 4, Literatura konca 19 - načala 20 veka : 1881-1917. Leningrad: Nauka, 1983. info
- KULEŠOV, Vasilij Ivanovič. Istorija russkoj literatury 19 veka, 70-90-je gody : ... dlja studentov filologičeskich special'nostej vuzov. Moskva: Vysšaja škola, 1983. info
- Istorija russkoj literatury. T. 2, Ot sentimentalizma k romantizmu i realizmu. Leningrad: Nauka, 1981. info
- Istorija russkoj literatury 19 veka : vtoraja polovina. Edited by Sergej Mitrofanovič Petrov. 3. izd. Moskva: Prosveščenije, 1974. 575 s. info
- MATHESIUS, Bohumil and Jiří F. FRANĚK. Přehled sovětské literatury. Část 1. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1971. info
- MATHESIUS, Bohumil and Jiří F. FRANĚK. Přehled sovětské literatury. Část 2. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1971. info
- Istorija russkoj literatury. T. 3, Literatura vtoroj poloviny 19-načala 20 vekov. Moskva: Nauka, 1964. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture seminar activities presentation of results of the individual analysis of literary text discussion
- Assessment methods
- lectures, seminars, small (group) projects, reading of the texts, discussions, working with the primary and secondary texts requirement on reading of the works by Russian writers the subject ends with an oral exam, which can be held also online
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Součástí zápočtu je kontrola povinné četby.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2020/RJA304