FF:SUP001 Psychology for teachers I - Course Information
SUP001 Psychology for teachers IFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- PhDr. Zdenka Stránská, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PhDr. Kateřina Bartošová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Iva Burešová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Iva Burešová, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: PhDr. Zdenka Stránská, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 8:00–9:40 N51
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! SUK001 Psychology for teachers I
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 120 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 82/120, only registered: 0/120, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/120
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 25 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The subject Psychology for teachers is two-semestr (Psychology for teachers I and Psychology for teachers II): Course offers theoretical as well as practical knowledge, methods for effective teaching to students, extending their qualification as certified teachers on secondary schools. Tips to solve various educational problems will be presented. The course aims to expand understanding of pupils and also to oneself, to improve communication skills a to support chances of healthy co-operation of pupils as well as their teachers. Among the most important psychological disciplines that directly help teachers to solve the complex educational situations include: general psychology, personality psychology, developmental psychology, educational psychology, social psychology, mental hygiene and psychopathology.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon succesful completion of the course Psychology for teachers I student will be able to:
- define the basic concepts of psychology
- clarify the basic characteristics and functions of psychic phenomena
- describe and explain the basic types of psychic phenomena (psychic processes, states and properties)
- use knowledge of psychological methods to improve knowledge of itself and of others (especially pupils and students)
- explain why and how people differ in their behaviors
- give some examples of factors that influence feelings, behavior and human activity
- compare the personality of the individual developmental stages of life (focusing on the younger school age, pubescence, adolescence and adulthood)
- analyze his/her learning style, compare different methods of learning and evaluate their effectiveness for his/her study having regard to his/her own psychological assumptions
- use knowledge about creativity to deliberate development of creative thinking pupils in teaching
- present the characteristic manifestations of gifted pupils, orientate in the typology of gifted pupils, possible forms of education of pupils with extraordinary talent and possibilities of their further development
- analyze the causes of school failure pupils and to propose educational measures for their elimination
- 1. Psychology among sciences, psychology as a human science, psychological science disciplines - classification, object. Psychology and its place in human life, psychology in education. Psychological preparation of teachers.
- 2. Psychological methods for assessing and evaluating pupil's personality - observation, experiment, interview, inventory, anamnesis, results of activity analysis, psychological test, sociometry. Learning about student teacher. Pitfalls threatening accuracy and objectivity of assessment and evaluation of student teacher.
- 3. Basic concepts of psychology – mind, consciousness, unconsciousness, experience, behavior, psychic processes, psychic states, psychic properties, personality etc. Basic characteristics and functions of psychic phenomena. Classification and characterization of psychic phenomena with possible deviations with regard to the possibility of occurrence in pupils (individually or as part of pathology) and the possibility of their formation and development by the teacher.
- 4. Personality (concept and structure, subsystems of personality - motivation, abilities, personality traits, temperament, character). Some personality disorders. Possibilities of promoting personal development in the school environment.
- 5. The concept and nature of mental development; phylogenesis and ontogenesis of mind; regularities of mental development; determinants of mental development (biological, determinants of external environment, education, self-education).
- 6. Characteristics of the developmental stages - prenatal stage, neonatal stage, infant stage, toddler stage, preschool age, younger school age*, pubescence*, adolescence*, adult age (younger adult, middle adult, older adult)*, old age. Note .: focus primarily on the period marked *).
- 7. Learning - definition, function of learning, phases of the learning process, learning curve, classification and characterization of types of learning - conditioning, operant learning, instrumental learning, sensorimotor learning, verbal learning, conceptual learning, problem-solving. Learning factors (learner, situation in which learning takes place, learning material, teacher). Learning methods (partial learning method, overall learning method, combined learning method; PQRST, suggestopedy etc.). Laws of learning: motivation, feedback, repeating, transfer.
- 8. Learning styles - definition, genesis, some typologies, diagnostics and influencing learning styles. Self-regulation of learning. Recommendations for pupils and students how to learn. Prerequisites of successful study. Study failures and their solutions.
- 9. Creativity and its development in teaching. Creativity - definition, factors creativity, development of creativity, stages of the creative process, levels of creativity, factors and conditions of intentional development of creative thinking pupils, creative pupil status in the class team.
- 10. Gifted pupils - learning and developing their personality. Definition of the concept of gift,talent, characteristic manifestations of the gifted pupil's behavior, selected social and emotional problems of gifted pupils, typology of gifted pupils, identification of gifted pupils, education of gifted pupils, possibilities for further development of gifted pupils
- 11. School success/failure, school achievement/underachievement - definition of terms. Analysis of school failure of pupils - the causes of failure (conditioned pupil personality, teacher personality, school, pupil family), psychological characteristics of unsuccessful pupils - typically and atypically unsuccessful pupils, psychological aspects in eliminating school failure of pupils. Self-efficacy, academic self-efficasy.
- required literature
- ČÁP, Jan and Jiří [pedagog] MAREŠ. Psychologie pro učitele [Čáp, 2001]. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2001. 655 s. ISBN 80-7178-463-X. info
- Psychologie výchovy a vyučování. Edited by Jan Čáp. 1. vyd. Praha: Univerzita Karlova - Vydavatelství Karolinum, 1993. 413 s. ISBN 80-7066-534-3. info
- recommended literature
- BENDL, Stanislav, KUCHARSKÁ, Anna (ed.) a kol. Kapitoly ze školní pedagogiky a školní psychologie - skripta pro studenty vykonávající pedagogickou praxi. Praha: Univerzita Karlova v Praze - Pedagogická fakulta, 2008. 237 s. ISBN 978-80-7290-366-5.
- HOLEČEK, Václav. Psychologie v učitelské praxi. Vyd. 1. Praha: Grada Publishing, a. s., 2014. 224 s. ISBN 978-80-247-3704-1.
- PETTY, Geoff. Moderní vyučování. Vyd. 6. Praha: Portál, s. r. o., 2013. 568 s. ISBN 978-262-0367-4.
- PUGNEROVÁ, Michaela. Psychologie : pro studenty pedagogických oborů. Vydání 1. Praha: Grada, 2019. 276 stran. ISBN 9788027105328. URL info
- JEDLIČKA, Richard, Jaroslav KOŤA and Jan SLAVÍK. Pedagogická psychologie pro učitele : psychologie ve výchově a vzdělávání. Illustrated by Jana Slavíková. Vydání 1. Praha: Grada, 2018. 528 stran. ISBN 9788027105861. URL info
- HELUS, Zdeněk. Sociální psychologie pro pedagogy. 2., přepracované a doplně. Praha: Grada, 2015. 399 stran. ISBN 9788024746746. URL info
- MAREŠ, Jiří. Pedagogická psychologie. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2013. 702 s. ISBN 9788026201748. info
- HRABAL, Vladimír and Isabella PAVELKOVÁ. Jaký jsem učitel. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2010. 239 s. ISBN 9788073677558. info
- FONTANA, David. Psychologie ve školní praxi : příručka pro učitele. Translated by Karel Balcar. Vyd. 3. Praha: Portál, 2010. 383 s. ISBN 9788073677251. info
- DYTRTOVÁ, Radmila and Marie KRHUTOVÁ. Učitel : příprava na profesi. Vyd. 1. Praha: Grada, 2009. 121 s. ISBN 9788024728636. URL info
- VÁGNEROVÁ, Marie. Školní poradenská psychologie pro pedagogy. Vyd. 1. V Praze: Karolinum, 2005. 430 s. ISBN 8024610744. info
- ŘEZÁČ, Jaroslav. Sociální psychologie. 1st ed. Brno: PAIDO, 1998. 268 pp. ISBN 80-85931-48-6. info
- DRLÍKOVÁ, Eva. Učitelská psychológia. 1. vyd. Bratislava: Slovenské pedagogické nakladatel'stvo, 1992. 374 s. ISBN 8008004339. info
- not specified
- SLAVIN, Robert E. Educational psychology : theory and practice. Tenth edition, Pearson new i. Harlow: Pearson, 2014. ii, 578. ISBN 9781292020730. info
- BUCKLER, Scott and Paul CASTLE. Psychology for teachers. Los Angeles: Sage, 2014. xxiv, 363. ISBN 9781446211144. info
- MINTON, Stephen James. Using psychology in the classroom. 1st pub. Los Angeles: Sage, 2012. xiii, 173. ISBN 9781446201657. info
- Pedagogická encyklopedie. Edited by Jan Průcha - Tomáš Janík - Milada Rabušicová. Vyd. 1. Praha: Portál, 2009. 935 s. ISBN 9788073675462. info
- ĎURIČ, Ladislav and Jozef ŠTEFANOVIČ. Psychológia pre učitel'ov. 2. vyd. Bratislava: Slovenské pedagogické nakladatel'stvo, 1977. 592 s. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture and seminar, discussion, homework, self-study of recommended literature
- Assessment methods
- written examination (knowledge test - usually 20 questions rated 20 points, for succesfully managing to be achieved at least 10 points - 50 %, full-time form of the examination)
prerequisite for examination: semester paper, deadline for submission of semester paper: no later than December 10, 2021)
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (Autumn 2021, recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/SUP001