FF:PSA_038 Methodology I - Course Information
PSA_038 Methodology IFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Martin Jelínek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Helena Klimusová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Tomáš Urbánek, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Zdenka Stránská, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 9:10–10:45 zruseno C21
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Psychology (programme FF, M-PS) (4)
- Course objectives
- Main objectives. Students should understand individual theoretical methodological issues and method. One should be able to utilize it within owm research prectice.
- Introduction to understanding science. Differen ways of acquiring knowledge. Common sense. Problem of demarcation. Theory and experience. Functions of science. Causality. Finality. Causality as reality or construct of mind. Mistakes in reasoning the causal relations between phenomenas. Open and semi-open system in psychology. Understending causal relations within whole system. Methodology. Method, methodics and technic. Essential methods in psychology. Exterospection and introspection. Object and subject of psychological searching. Positivism and phenomenology. Hermeneutics. Pragmatics. Nomothetic and idiographic paradigm. Logics in research. Induction and deduction, abduction. Concept and meaning. Therms. Definition. Subject and object of research. Psychic phenomena. Research in other humanities. Problem. Known and unknown. Problem in science as an knowledge about unknown. Problem as a question. Different kinds of questions. Theory as solving the problem. Structure of scienticic theries. Hypothesis. Verification. Kvalitative and kvantitative aspect of research. The gap or two sides of the same river. Kvalitative approach in research. Kvality and kvantity. Functions of kvalitative part of research - description, clasification, explication. Developing of theories. Kvantitative part of research. Scale. Operacional definition. Variables and invariants. Kinds of research variables. Internal and external validity. Sample and population. Sampling. Designs with two and more groups. Extent of sample. Various research designs. Prospective and retrospective design. Experimental and correlative design. Explorative and confirmative research. Project of research.
- MATERNA, Pavel and Jan ŠTĚPÁN. Filozofická logika: nová cesta? (Philosophical logic: a new way?). Olomouc: Olomouc (Univerzita Palackého), 2000. 127 pp. ISBN 80-244-0109-6. info
- Úvod do metodologie psychologického výzkumu :jak zkoumat lidskou duši. Edited by Ján Ferjenčík - Petr Bakalář. 1. vyd. Praha: Portál, 2000. 255 s. ISBN 80-7178-367-6. info
- PSTRUŽINA, Karel. Atlas filosofie vědy. E-LOGOS, 1999. ISSN 1211-0442. URL info
- Logika vědeckého bádání. Edited by Karl R. Popper. 1. vyd. Praha: OIKOYMENH, 1997. xliv, 617. ISBN 80-86005-45-3. info
- Vesmír, jazyk, myšlení :studie z filosofie vědy a jazyka. Edited by Vladimír Havlík - Zdeněk Hofmann. Vyd. 1. Praha: Filosofia, 1994. 138 s. ISBN 80-7007-049-8. info
- KERLINGER, Fred N. Základy výzkumu chování : pedagogický a psychologický výzkum. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 1972. 705 s. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, seminars.
- Assessment methods
- Colloquium criteria: 1) Students should attend at least 70% of seminars; 2) Students are expected to be prepared for the next seminar according to guidelines of the teachers (reading assignments) 3) They are expected to analyze text of published scientific paper. 4) They have to get at least 75% of points in final written colloquial test.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
General note: Kontrola 25.5.2007 M. Tyrlík.