FF:MED70 Arab Uprisings - Course Information
MED70 Political Economy of the Arab UprisingsFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Maher Hamoud, Ph.D. (lecturer), Mgr. Danuša Čižmíková, PhD. (deputy)
Mgr. Danuša Čižmíková, PhD. (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Katarina Petrovićová, Ph.D.
Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jitka Erlebachová
Supplier department: Department of Classical Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Mon 1. 4. 16:00–19:40 J22, Tue 2. 4. 16:00–19:40 A21, Wed 3. 4. 16:00–19:40 A21, Thu 4. 4. 16:00–19:40 A21, Fri 5. 4. 8:00–12:40 B2.34
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 55 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 1/55, only registered: 0/55, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/55
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 22 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- A cross-examination of the political economy of Middle Eastern countries in relation to the wave of uprisings that broke out in late 2010 and still continues to unfold. The course breaks down the three elements; the political, the economic, and the social; explaining how each influences the other and how together they brought an ongoing regional unrest in.
- 1) Introduction: Framework of the analysis and variations of the uprisings
- 2) The rise and fall of state-led development
- 3) War, conflict and the military
- 4) Social movements and mass mobilisation
- 5) Conclusions and discussions
- Teaching methods
- Lectures and class discussions.
- Assessment methods
- Written examination: two essay questions (to be chosen out of three).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught only once.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2019/MED70