FF:ISKB49 Digital Curatorship - Course Information
ISKB49 Digital CuratorshipFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Michal Konečný (lecturer)
PhDr. Michal Lorenz, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Michal Lorenz, Ph.D.
Department of Information and Library Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Alice Lukavská
Supplier department: Department of Information and Library Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Wed 18:00–19:40 B2.33
- Enrolment is not conditional upon passing another subject. It is recommended to pass the subject ISKB48 Preservation of Cultural Heritage.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 40 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 11/40, only registered: 0/40
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 14 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- After completing the course, students understand and can explain what is digital curatorship and what are the main principles of the curatorial approach to long-term protection of digital information. They know important standards, terminology and tools used by digital curators. They understand the importance of planning and organizing activities related to long-term storage of data and documents. They can develop their knowledge and deepen them through self-study and applied them to solve simple tasks related to the long-term preservation.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to:
- explain the essence of the curatorial approach to long-term protection of digital information
- use appropriate terminology
- to select and judge the content of the documents
- compare and highlight differences between different formats and data structures
- follow format and technology changes, ensure conversion of particular formats
- operate, manage and plan a digital archive
- propose a long-term storage strategy
- navigate the content of metadata files
- work independently with software tools
- plan and manage a digital archive
- ensure security and access information from digital archives
- identify stakeholders in different types of institutions and design a suitable form of communication with the designated community and stakeholders
- 1. Principles of curatorial approach to long-term protection of digital information
- 2. Digital objects and their properties
- 3. Long-term protection strategy of digital information
- 4. Long-term storage standards
- 5. Long-term storage tools
- 6. Exercise with long-term storage tools
- 7. OAIS and digital archives
- 8. Receiving, managing, and accessing data
- 9. The role of education and communication in promoting long-term protection policies
- 10. Planning a digital archive
- 11. Control and management of digital archive
- 12. Workshop - Changing the way of long-term preservation is maintained in a selected institution
- required literature
- BEAGRIE, Neil. 2006. Digital Curation for Science, Digital Libraries, and Individuals. International Journal of Digital Curation. Edinburgh: Digital Curation Centre, 1(1): 3-16. DOI: 10.2218/ijdc.v1i1.2. ISSN 1746-8256. Dostupné také z: http://ijdc.net/i
- HIGGINS, Sarah. 2011. Digital Curation: The Emergence of a New Discipline. International Journal of Digital Curation. Edinburgh: Digital Curation Centre, 6(2): 78-88. DOI: 10.2218/ijdc.v6i2.191. ISSN 1746-8256. Dostupné také z: http://ijdc.net/index. php
- not specified
- LAVOIE, Brian a Lorcan DEMPSEY. 2004. Thirteen Ways of Looking at..Digital Preservation. D-Lib Magazine. OCLC Online Computer Library Center, 10(7/8). ISSN 1082-9873. Dostupné také z: http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july04/lavoie/07lavoie.html
- ROSENTHAL, Colin, Asger BLEKINGE-RASMUSSEN a Jan HUTAŘ. 2009. Průvodce plánem důvěryhodného digitálního repozitáře (PLATTER). 1. vyd. Praha: Národní knihovna České republiky, 51 s. ISBN 9788070505694.
- Reference Model for an Open Archival Information System (OAIS). 2012. Issue 2. Washington, DC: The Consultative Committee for Space Data Systems.
- DCC Curation Lifecycle Model. 2015. DCC: because good research needs good data [online]. Digital Curation Centre [cit. 2015-11-03]. Dostupné z: http://www.dcc.ac.uk/resources/curation-lifecyclemodel
- LIBRARY OF CONGRESS. Why Digital Preservation is Important for Everyone. In: YouTube [online]. 2010 [cit. 2015-11-24]. Dostupné z: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEmmeFFafUs
- HOCKX-YU, Helen a Gareth KNIGHT. 2008. What to Preserve?: Significant Properties of Digital Objects. International Journal of Digital Curation. Edinbourgh: Digital Curation Centre, 3(1): 141-153. DOI: 10.2218/ijdc.v3i1.49. ISSN 1746-8256.
- FOJTŮ, Andrea. Strategie, návrh, řízení a administrace rozsáhlých digitálních knihoven a archivů. [online]. Praha, 2014 [cit. 2015-11- 25]. Dostupné z: https://is.cuni.cz/webapps/zzp/detail/103016/.
- DAY, Michael, Seamus ROSS (ed.) a Michael DAY (ed.). 2005. Digital Curation Manual: Metadata. Version 1.1. Edinbourgh: Digital Curation Centre. ISSN 1747-1524.
- WHYTE, Angus. Five steps to decide what data to keep. DCC: because good research needs good data [online]. Edinbourgh: Digital Curation Centre, 2014-10-31 [cit. 2015-11-25].
- HUTAŘ, Jan a Marek MELICHAR. 2013. České paměťové instituce a digitální data – historický exkurz, současný stav a předpokládaný vývoj I. Duha [online]. 2015-11-21, 27(4) [cit. 2015-11-21]. ISSN 1804-4255.
- Understanding metadata. 2004. Bethesda: NISO Press. Dostupné také z: http://www.niso.org/publications/press/Understanding- Metadata.pdf
- UPWARD, Frank. 1996. Structuring the Records Continuum - Part One: Postcustodial principles and properties. Archives and Manuscripts. Canberra: Library Association of Australia, 24(2).
- Sustainability of Digital Formats: Planning for Library of Congress Collections. National Digital Information Infrastructure and Preservation Program [online]. Library of Congress [cit. 2015-11-24]. Dostupné z: http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/
- What is digital curation? 2015. DCC: Because good research needs good data [online]. Edinbourgh: Digital Curation Centre [cit. 2015- 11-04]. Dostupné z: http://www.dcc.ac.uk/digital-curation/whatdigital- curation
- DRAMBORA interactive: Digital Repository Audit Method Based on Risk Assessment [online]. Digital Curation Centre a Digital Preservation Coalition, 2015-08-01 [cit. 2015-11-25]. Dostupné z: http://www.repositoryaudit.eu/
- WHYTE, Angus a Andrew WILSON. How to Appraise and Select Research Data for Curation.. DCC: because good research needs good data [online]. Edinbourgh: Digital Curation Centre, 2010-10-25 [cit. 2015-11-25].
- BARTOŠEK, Miroslav. 2004. Digitální knihovny - teorie a praxe. Národní knihovna: knihovnická revue. Praha: Národní knihovna ČR, 15(4): 233-254. ISSN 1214-0678. Dostupné také z: http://full.nkp.cz/nkkr/NKKR0404/0404233.html
- Teaching methods
- Content of the curriculum is divided into ten parts, the teaching of which will take the form of lectures with elements of project instruction - during the semester the students will perform partial tasks on individual projects and present their work on a continuous basis. Each lecture follows the exercises. During seminars, students will experience long-term protection in practice:
- planning a repository with PLATO;
- working in complex LTP system Archivematica;
- work with the dSpace repository;
- repository audit in the DRAMBORA interactive tool
There are two practical lessons in the course schedule - the first is focused on individual work with selected software tools and the second in the form of a workshop.
- Assessment methods
- The course ends with an exam. The resulting classification consists of the result of the written test and the evaluation of the tasks that are being submitted during the semester. For successful completion of the course, at least 6 of the 9 assignments must be completed if they are submitted in due time (ie no later than the day before the next lecture). If the assignments are handed in retrospectively (no later than the date of the written test), it is necessary to prepare all nine tasks.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.